Under or over the Muscle Saline Breast Implants for 32AA?

I'm 25. No kids, 5'5" and weigh 120 lbs. I work out regularly so have quite a bit of muscle and am also a runner. My current size is 32AA. I have picked a dr and am having my augmentation on the 17 of this month. I don't want porno boobs so I just went with 325cc of saline. He says I should go over the muscle. I've been reading on here that under and muscle better for small framed girls. I terribly afraid of this turning out bad. I don't want "ball in a sock, ripples or Capsular contracture! Help me decide!!!

Slender Women Have Better Results Under the Muscle

+4

A slender woman needs more tissue coverage over breast implants, especially saline.

I strongly recommend submuscular placement of your implants, especially saline implants of the size you are considering.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Don't go over the muscle with saline implants

+3

Some of the worst results that come to me for correction are from over the muscle saline implants in thin women.  The results look poor, the implants are edgy, and often they are overfilled and hard in order to minimize their wrinkly nature.  Go submuscular all the time, especially with saline. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Above or below muscle breast augmentation

+2

Implants can be placed either above or below the pectoralis major muscle, and each can have its advantages and disadvantages.  If the breast skin is very loose a subglandular (above the muscle) implant may fill out the breast better.  If one is very thin and wants a more subtle look a submuscular augmentation may be the better approach.  Capsular contracture can occur in either case but the risk is slightly lower in implants placed beneath the muscle.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Under or over the muscle

+2

Lee- Most of the time, I choose to go under the muscle because it provides more camouflage for rippling because there is more breast tissue on top of the implants. You may already know that saline implants are more prone to show rippling and because of your stature and current breast size, it does not sound like going over the muscle would hide any of that rippling. Talk to your doctor about the possibility of going under the muscle and ask him what the difference would be.

Joseph G. Bauer, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

For you, saline implants will do best under the muscle

+2

For women such as yourself who are trim and don't have an abundance of tissue to hide implants, the best position is under the muscle. If your implants are placed on top of the muscle, you will have much greater risk of wrinkling or distinct palpability. A silicone implant would likely be acceptable on top of the muscle, but generally I think that even these do best over the long term in a submuscular position. If you ever need a secondary procedure such as a breast lift, the operation will be safer as the breast tissue has remained attached to the underlying muscle with an abundant blood supply with less potential for healing problems.

Michael D. Yates, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants over or under muscle

+2

For the majority of women, I prefer to palce implants under the muscle. More specifically in a biplanar poistion. This gives more superio coverage than just subglandular. In a thin small framed person, I feel that this is the best way.

Don't place your breast implants over the muscle

+2

This is becoming a more common question. There are some advantages of placing the implant over the muscle, and in some cases is recommended. But not in yours. You are young, have little breast tissue, and going with saline implants. These are all reasons to place your implants under the muscle. I strongly recommend you get another opinion. Is your doctor a board certified plastic surgeon?

Dean Fardo, MD

You may do better with silicone implants

+2

If you do work out your pectoralis muscle and do not want to see implant moving with the pectoralis muscle contraction, consider silicone above the muscle. The placement of saline implant above the muscle will cause rippling and visible implant line later. Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon..

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant placement

+2

There are a lot of things to consider regarding the placement of the implant. Frame size is not an indication to place the implant over vs. under or the reverse. Frame size guides implant size that will be appropriate.

Personally, I prefer under the muscle (smooth, round, inframammary incision) in order to minimize the problems you mentioned. To minimize the risk of ripples even more, silicone gel implants are the way to go.

If you feel uncomfortable, you should seek another opinion.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Breast implants over the muscle better for body builders.

+2

Hi!

1) I don't know exactly how much you exercise, or how overdeveloped your pectoral muscles are, but if you have a very muscular chest, over the muscle breast augmentation is safer.

2) You should not be making this decision! This is a medical decision. Get a plastic surgeon you trust to make the right decision.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)