What Are Under Eye Filler Techniques?

I'm considering having filler under my eyes and around my rim. I've read that you need to find a very experienced surgeon and that there are different techniques (injection with need/injection with cannula, injection under the muscle, injection over the muscle). Can you share your philosophy on the best technique? I've also read that injection can lead to stroke, blindness, and other very serious complications. Can you shed light on how much I should worry about this? And are there techniques to avoid those complications?

Fillers around the eyes best done with Restylane using blunt cannula technique

+1

I've been doing this procedure with blunt cannulas since early 2011.  This is the best way to decrease the bruising and swelling after the procedure.  Only use Restylane.  The chances of visual changes is practically nil, because the cannulas cannot enter vessels very easily, therefore very little chance of embolism.

Fillers around the eyes.

+1

Yes, fillers around the eyes can help improve the appearance. This is best accomplished with hyaluronic acids like restylane or juvederm.  Yes, there can be complications such as blindness, but they are extremely rare.

HA is the choice for under eyes

+1

Injection around the eye need to be done by an experienced injector. This procedure requires some expertise.

My choice are HA products (such as Juvederm or Restylane). These look the most natural and can be reversed if need be.

Risks are indeed low if done by an experienced practitioner.

I would advise against the injection of other fillers such as Radiesse that can cause lumps.

An alternative procedure is fat transfer. This is when your own fat is harvested and transplanted to the eye area. This is also quote safe and natural looking.

Benjamin C. Marcus, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon