Undecided, Mini or Full TummyTuck? (photo)

After two big babies and c-sections later, my stomach is wrecked! I workout on a daily basis which includes an hour of cardio/weightlifting and or yoga a day, however I cannot get rid of my middle. I know that a TT is needed to fix my stomach, my problem lies with which one would be most effective to achieve the flatness desired. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in Advance!

Mini vs Full Tummy Tuck

+1

Just from examining your photos (I really would need to examine you personally), I would suspect that you are a good candidate for a combination of full tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) and liposuction, which would give you the flat abdomen you desire. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck

+1

from the photos it appears that you are a very good candidate for a short scar or mini tummy tuck, as most of your problem appears to be your lower abdomen between your c-section scar and navel. Your enitre abdomen would be  suctioned and then the lower abdominal wall would be tightened to flatten your abdomen even more. The incision would be below your c-section scar and your c-section scar would be excised with around two inches of skin, leaving you with a scar just barely longer than the one you already have.

Howard N. Robinson, MD

Mini or Full TummyTuck

+1

Based on your description and photographs, you appear to be a better candidate for a full abdominoplasty. However, you will need to receive an in person consultation and exam to confirm this recommendation.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Mini vs. Full tummy Tuck

+1

If you have an excess amount of skin after weight loss than a midline incision does tightening the skin around the hip areas but obviously leaves a bad scar, therefore, only a person who is not worried about wearing a bathing suit and just wants a tighter hip area would want this kind of procedure versus a mini where there is no midline scar.

John S. Poser, MD

Which tuck is best?

+1

The best tuck depends on your desires and what scar you are willing to accept.  Mini-tucks (and extended mini-tucks which go above  your belly button) with an umbilical float (your belly button is an inch lower) should work well for you and leave a shorter scar.  A full tummy tuck is much more extensive and you may be disappointed in amount of improvement over what you currently are.  To really know how much better you tummy can be, you need to be able to relax your tummy muscles and let it hang out.  If you protrude a lot, then you have to consider muscle sutures.   

Curtis Wong, MD

Options in tummy tucking

+1

Aloha, and thanks for your photos!  I agree with most of the other responders that a full tummy tuck will be your best option.  You will also need to research the technique choices for a low transverse incision (easier to conceal) or high tension lateral incision (better anatomic shaping and flattening) to obtain your desired results. Best to get opinions and view before and after photos from several surgeons before making a commitment.

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

A full tummy tuck will probably give you what you want

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos.

Based on your photos, a full tummy tuck will probably give you what you want. I think you would be disappointed with a mini-tummy tuck.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your history and photographs I think you'll be a better candidate for a full tummy tuck operation.

A few words of caution for patients contemplating tummy tuck surgery may be in order:  In my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.
For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.

Full tummy or mini?

+1

If you want the flattest possible result, I would recommend the full procedure.  This will especially help the upper abdomen, which the mini won't.  Obviously. consultation with a plastic surgeon who can examine you will give you the best advice.

Michael Leff, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Full or Mini Tummy Tuck after children

+1

The decision to use a mini or full tummy tuck can really only be made after examining you and getting a feel for what your goals are.  You have a good abdominal contour for having had 2 children, and I think that sitting down with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area and letting him/her examine you and go over your options is your best  bet.  I think that you will get a good result from either, but only an in-person consultation can answer your question.

Remember, though, that a bit of a longer scar from a traditional tummy tuck is a small price to pay (in my opinion) for a much improved cosmetic result, especially if the scar is well-designed and hidden in your bikini line.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Hall

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS