Unbearable Sutures Under Skin from Inner Thigh Lift?

I had a inner thigh lift years ago.My doctor must have used undissovable sutures under my skin in my legs because a year after surgery I could feel them protruding from under my skin. In my groin area between my legs I can feel what I can describe as "strings" underneath my skin. I'm at my wits end, my surgeon now wants to charge me an outrageous fee to revise. I just would like the "strings" cut they are making my life miserable. Has anyone dealt with something like this? Please, please help!

It is rare for a plastic surgeon to use non-absorbable sutures for a inner or medial thigh lift...

+2

It is rare for a plastic surgeon to use non-absorbable sutures on a inner or medial thigh lift.  The "strings" that you feel in your inner thighs are more likely to be significant scarring around the suture line.  The pulling sensation could be the inner thigh scar contracting; all scars by nature, contract.  I would suggest consulting with your prior plastic surgeon.  If a mutual agreement cannot be established, I would politely request a copy of your operative report.  Then, I would seek a plastic surgeon who specializes in reconstructive surgery for weight loss patients and who has a significant amount of experience in inner or medial thigh lift surgery.

Removal of Permanent Sutures after Thigh Lift

+1

I am sure that you can find someone to remove these sutures for a reasonable fee.  If your plastic surgeon's fees are not acceptable, consult with several plastic surgeons in your area.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Residual sutures after a thigh lift

+1

You are right, some surgeons use permanent sutures when performing a thigh lift.  These certainly can be removed.  If your surgeon and you cannot agree on a price to do this, I would recommend getting a second opinion and possibly trying to see if your health insurance would cover it given the pain you are experiencing.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Medial thigh lift

+1

The undisolvable sutures used in medial thigh lift are sutures between the facia and the deep facia under the labia and or in the covering of the pubic bone. These sutures has to be permanent so as to prevent the scar from migrating down the thigh and the scar becomes visible.

Removing these sutures can be done, but the scar may migrate down. It means opening the scar to a certain length to get to the sutures and resitiching the skin. It may need general anesthesia or if superficial can be done under local anesthesia, with or without sedation.

The risks are simmilar to the risks of medial thigh lift plus scar migration.