Really Unattractive Scars, Swelling and Redness After Thigh Lift What Can I Do?

I had a thigh lift in Florida about 12 weeks ago. My right leg has a long, wide ugly scar. This suture line opened after the surgery. It makes me feel deformed. Is there anything that can be done. The scar is hot to the touch. I really need some help. I also have a huge protrusion at the end of my knee. Looks like my knee does a right turn. It was a seroma at one time. How long will the swelling last.

Thigh lift problems

+2

Really need a photograph to understand your problem.  Was this a lateral thigh lift or an inner thigh lift?  Given time and once everything heals scar revisions are possible.  

Swelling after thigh lift

+1

Sometimes the thigh lift incisions can heal poorly with wide or hypertrophic scars. The swelling is definitely a seroma and should be drained. The swelling in both legs will last 9-12 months. You can always have a scar revision which usually always results in a better scar. In the meantime try taping the incisions with paper tape or use silicone cream to reduce the scarring. 

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Scars

+1

How we scar after trauma or surgery depend on many factors. How the wound healed, any complications?, location of the scar, How the scar was repaired, and most important is genetically how we are programed to form scars.  It seems that it is early to judge on your scars,. Scar take about one year to settle down and mature. Unless there is a major problem with the scar, it is wise to give it time. If there is a major problem then one can revise the scar earlier. You need to discuss all the elements of the scar with your surgeon that you do not like. It is not unusual to have puffiness at the end of the scar, near the knee, that may require to wait for all the swelling to go away. If it persists then liposuction of the puffy area and scar revision may improve it.