Umbilicoplasty, Thermage, or Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I had my baby 13 months ago. I lost all my baby weight and have closed my diastasis significantly (1.5 fingers from 5 fingers). I have a lot of loose skin above my belly button from my big belly and a piercing scar from many years ago. I wanted to know if Thermage or Umbilicoplasty could be an option for me? I want to avoid a Tummy Tuck if possible, but if that is the best option I will go that route after I'm finished having kids. Also, can I do Thermage if I'm not finished having children?

Tummy Tuck vs Umbilicoplasty

+1
An Umbilicoplasty will only improve your belly button, umbilicus, and a small amount of skin around it.
A tummy tuck, abdominoplasty, will improve your entire tummy as it included correcting your separated muscles (diastasis recti), an umbilicoplasty, and removing redundant skin and fat. 
Forget Thermage - it will do little to correct loose skin and will not improve your appearance substantially

Tummy tuck would provide the best result

+1

Thank you for the photos.  An umbilicoplasty would correct an umbilical hernia, umbilical scar, "innie" from an "outie".  Thermage has very limited role in abdominal contouring. Currently you have some abdominal wall laxity, skin laxity, and some fat excess.  Only a tummy tuck would properly address all of these issues.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Tummy tuck includes umbilicoplasty.

+1

Hi.

Your main problem is loose hanging skin, and only a tummy tuck will solve that.  It will also make your belly button look better.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Tummy tuck better than Thermage for loose skin after pregnancy

+1

While there is some evidence that Thermage will tighten abdominal skin especially if done immediately after liposuction (much more than with laser lipo) it usually doesn't come close to being a true alternative to a tummy tuck. You should wait until after you are through having children before the tummy tuck so if your expectations are appropriate then Thermage at this time might make more sense.

Richard Baxter, MD

Tummy tuck alternatives

+1
Congratulations on the baby. To improve your abdomen, neither Thermage nor umbilicoplasty will be successful so please save your money. At this point, you would need a tummy tuck. If you are considering more children, I would recommend that you defer a tummy tuck until you have completed your family; it could be performed sooner but then you must be prepared for revision after another pregnancy.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Finish having children then...

+1

do a full tummy tuck. The first two choices will give you no improvement. You need a full tummy tuck.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Options

+1

If your goal is improved abdominal contour and repair of your remaining diastasis, then a tummy tuck or variant thereof is your best bet.  The other options you mentioned will not provide the same results, and will likely just cost you more money in the long run.

Warmest Regards,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Tummy Tuck or Thermage?

+1

The procedure you decide to proceed with will depend greatly on exactly what your goals are. In my opinion, if you're looking for any significant improvement of the appearance of your  abdominal wall, then tummy tuck surgery is the only good option. The other options you mention  will provide very limited results (at best).

When the time is right, seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.