Do I Need An Umbilicoplasty or Tummy Tuck Revision To Achieve Desired Results? (photo)

5'4",105 lbs, and 2 weeks post op from having a Tummy Tuck-full muscle repair w/o lipo. PS said all skin from my navel down would be taken off but part of my navel would be at the incision line. He was going to move my naval but it still would be flat. I told him I didn't want a navel at all. No navel w/o scar is better than having a flat brown spot w/scar. Now, my navel is an inch lower with saggy skin on top! Not what I expected! I want the saggy skin above my navel fixed & a better navel!

Full vs mini tummy tuck

+1

It appears that there was some significant miscommunication with your surgeon based on your notes and photographs.  While I cannot be sure of what was done, it appears that you had a mini-tummy tuck with an umbilical float type procedure.  This operation usually does not significantly improve the skin laxity above the umbilicus and lowers the umbilicus.   Despite your concerns, it is still very early after your procedure and you can expect to see continued improvement over the next few months.   

I would suggest that you meet with your surgeon for a frank, but non-aggressive discussion of your expectations and outcome.  I don't feel that going "without" a belly button would be very natural in appearance, but this is something you must decide should you consider a revision.  If you did, indeed, have an umbilical float type procedure and you decide to proceed to a "full" tummy tuck, you should realize that the umbilicus will probably not survive because of disruption of its blood supply.  Best wishes.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

+1

Based upon the posted photos there was a failure in communication. It appears as a min TT or Free Floating TT NOT A FULL TT. But either case you need healing time of 3 months at least! 

Tummy tuck not what I expected

+1
Good grief Kansas, give your body a chance to heal! Looks like some nice curves to me, and now a flat (but still swollen) tummy to go with. You would look bizarre without a navel, please thank your surgeon for doing a great job, and discuss your belly button with him/her at next appointment.

Steve Laverson, MD

Tummy tuck revisions

+1

Tummy tuck revisions are uncommon, expect perhaps proceures to neaten the scar. The belly button cannot be removed without a strange result. You mention a 'full' tummy tuck, however in your after pictures I see stretch marks above the belly button, and no healing scar around the belly button. The laxity above suggests you really had a mini.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd

Tummy Tuck Results?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.  It is difficult to give a good opinion without senior preoperative pictures or knowing exactly what was done intraoperatively.

It sounds like there was some serious miscommunication between you and your plastic surgeon.  Assuming the surgeon is a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon I would suggest you have a calm,  clarifying discussion with him.

Several months down the line,  it will be time to evaluate the results of surgery and discuss revisionary surgery options if necessary. Based on your description of your goals and the current appearance of your umbilicus,  you may very well be correct in that revisionary surgery  may be helpful.