Would an Umbilicoplasty Do the Trick? (photo)

I am two weeks postpartum, I'm almost back to my prepregnancy weight. But my belly button hasn't gone back to how it used to be. It used to be an innie but with a little ball in it. Now it's just stretched out and looks like an outie. I have some stretch marks around my belly button as well. Would an umbilicoplasty fix my belly button? Would it be able to get rid of my stretch marks as well? If not I could probably live with them because they aren't too bad.

Diagnosis: Umbilical hernia.

+2

Thank you for sharing your concerns. This is a classic presentation of an umbilical hernia. You likely had a small umblical defect that has was accentuated by your recent pregnancy and the associated increase in intra-abdominal pressure. The operation you may need is an umbilical hernia repair, usually performed by general surgeons. There are a few of us plastic surgeons, that are double board certified.... in general and plasic surgery.

You must be made aware that there a few things to look out for. A hernia is a defect in your fascia, that can allow for small bowel to become incarcerated. If you develop an incarcerated umbilical hernia, you will need to seek immediate medical attention. Symptoms may include abdominal pain, nausea, fevers, chills, loss of appetite and tenderness around the area involved... just to name a few

Best of luck and congrats on your new baby.

Riverside Plastic Surgeon

Umbilical hernias are common after pregnancy

+1

Thank you for your question and photograph. It is impossible to tell without an evaluation, but in the photograph it appears that you have an umbilical hernia. This can be repaired by a fairly minor procedure with a small scar. Make sure that  you see a board certified general surgeon. It will not treat your stretch marks but it should be covered by your insurance.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

I often see ladies in your situation

+1

Pregnancy creates many changes to the umbilicus as well as the abdominal wall.  You are describing a belly button that sounds like it is in the middle of muscles with a diastasis or with a hernia.  Without an exam I cannot tell you which you have.  Regardless I see ladies all of the time who get a hernia repair of their umbilicus post pregnancy in the hope that it will improve the contour of their abdomen.  It does not do this nor does it remove stretch marks.  An abdominoplasty is often the proper operation to fix these issues.  I would suggest visiting with several board certified plastic surgeons to get an opinion of what is going on.  Good luck!

Evan Sorokin, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Umbilicoplasty for belly button shape yes, for stretch marks no

+1

Thank you for your photo.  You are correct, an umbilicoplasty can repair your belly button.  The incision would be inside the belly button and would allow the plastic surgeon to push some of the fat that is in your belly button back in as well as pull the belly button closer to your abdominal wall.  An umbilicoplasty will however not remove any skin and therefore all of the stretch marks and any other characteristic of your abdomen would be there.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD