Will Umbilicoplasty Make a Significant Difference on Post-pregnant Belly?

I had a baby and it left me a raisin belly. I am realistic and know that my tummy will never be the same and I may never get rid of my stretch marks but I was hoping that I could at least improve the appearance of my belly button, it would make me feel more comfortable.

Umbilicoplasty for post partum abdomen- solution or symptom

+2

In post partum patients, the belly button often loses its prior glory. It can stick out like a button and appear large. Often the entire floor of the belly button is gone due to separation of the muscles when the fascia tears. This can be due to a hernia or a separation of the muscles, called a diastasis recti.

While it is possible to perform an umbilicoplasty alone, this is usually only a Band-Aid on a much larger problem for which a tummy tuck or hernia repair is preferable.

In patients with a prominent abdomen, weight loss is best to minimize the contents of the abdomen pushing out, and several options exist with respect to which tummy tuck is best.

Umbilicoplasty is not a replacement for a tummy tuck

+2

Umbilicoplasty will only change the shape of your belly button. It will not change the surrounding skin. From the picture, it looks like you would benefit from a tummy tuck. If you are considering having any more kids soon, then I would suggest waiting. However, if you are done having kids, then you may want to consider tummy tuck / abdominoplasty to achieve the best results. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

+1
First decide if you are considering more children.  If yes, then hold off on any surgery in my opinion.  If no, then get a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to assess if there is an umbilical hernia causing the belly button changes you noted and if a tummy tuck would be appropriate to meet your goals.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Umbilical changes associated with abdominoplasty

+1

Upon reviewing your photograph it appears that you now have an "outy" as opposed to an "inny". This would correspond to an umbilical hernia. This may also be associated with some separation of your rectus abdominis muscles. These are the muscles that you strengthen when you do crunches. You can either fix umbilical hernia through an incision from 3-6-9 if you look at your navel as a clock. The alternative is if there is a separation of your muscles, this would be more involved but, could be addressed as well and that would provide the added benefit of flattening your tummy.

Roger J. Friedman, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Umbilicoplasty

+1

I am in agreement with the others. You may have an umbilical hernia by the looks of it.

What are you trying to accomplish? Are you planning more children? Sometimes, less is just less, and you may want to consider a tummy tuck when you are done with child rearing.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Umbilicoplasty not helpful when you need tummy tuck.

+1

Hi.

We all hope to get away with minimal surgery, but i am afraid that nothing less than a full tummy tuck is going to help you, going by your picture. Not what you wanted to hear!

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Umbilicoplasty is likely to give you and underwhelming improvement

+1

Hi there-

I doubt you will achieve any significant improvement in the appearance of your abdomen through umbilicoplasty.

In fact, I would think it is likely that you are LESS pleased after this procedure, as your abdomen will overall look the same, except that now you have a SCAR around your belly button.... Without even having the benefit of the tummy tuck that usually goes with it.

Think about this carefully.

I'm all for having the most minor procedure you can, but I also believe that there is no sense in having a small operation unless it is highly likely to give you the outcome you wanted.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Umbilicoplasty is really going to give you nothing

+1

If you ask the busy doctors on RealSelf how many times they do an umbilicoplasty, it is almost zero because you cna't correct the excesss skin that way. You need a full tummy tuck and many but not all of your stretch marks will be removed. Your tummy will be flatter and less lax.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Belly Button Correction (Umbilicoplasty) is NO substitute for a Tummy Tuck

+1

An umbilicoplasty MAY get you an innie belly button. Personally, I would not do it because I believe you deserve a better result and will be disappointed with the outcome.

If you are done having children, a full Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) will tighten your tummy's muscle wall flattening it completely. It will narrow your waist, lift a sagging Mons pubis, give you an innie belly button, remove ALL the stretch marks between the belly button and your privates and, if a Lockwood High Lateral Tension Abdominoplasty is done, lift your anterior thighs and smooth cellulite dimples.

In my opinion, THAT is what you should shoot for. Do not compromise for an innie belly button when you can have a lot more.

Dr. P. Aldea

Belly button hernia repair

+1

You may not have one but I would be very suspicious that you have a small hernia. If that is the case it should be addressed surgically because ones of this size can entrap a small knuckle of bowel. They are best treated before that occurs which is why their treatment is covered by health insurance. That treatment alone may get rid of the small bulge you see in the depths of the belly button. You could see a general surgeon for the hernia evaluation and repair.

Aaron Stone, MD