Can Umbilicoplasty Be Performed on a Navel That is "Flat" in Appearance?

I am a 37 year old white male, 5'10", 155lbs with a swimmers build. I have very little if any abdominal fat. I have always been self conscious about the appearance of my navel. I was wondering if I could have a umbilicoplasty to correct it? My navel is a dime sized shallow one. It has a slight upper lip to it when I am standing but disappears when I am laying. The center is less than 1/4" in depth and the bottom meets up level with the rest of my abdominal surface.Can depth be added or intrest.

Tummy Tuck - Can Umbilicoplasty Be Performed on a Navel That is "Flat" in Appearance?

+1

Probably, but it may not give you the result you want.

Umbilioplasty just means plastic surgery of the navel, and nearly any surgery done to the BB may count as plastic surgery.  But the question is whether you can take a wide, shallow BB and turn it into a narrow, deeper one. 

Photos would be helpful, but so would more info - are you having a TT and you want this done as PART of this, or is this for a stand-alone procedure?  In the first case I think there's a good likelihood that some adjustment can be made to your BB; in the second, it seems less likely.

You should, of course, be seen in person for something like this...you'll have a better sense of what's possible after you've talked to a few plastic surgeons.  But, in general, it can be difficult to achieve what I think you're looking for as a stand-alone procedure.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Umbilicplasty?

+1

It is very difficult to give good advice without examining you.

Having said that, based on your description,  I am concerned about any type of surgery and the potential risks and complications  associated with the surgery in your case. Scars will be visible (some more than others)  and fat grafting may or may not be successful (and may be associated with some irregularity).

Please make sure you do not trade one concern for another that may be worse. Next

Poorly defined umbilicus

+1

Dear Tyler,

Probably your best option, in order  to create more depth and a pleasant curve, is augmenting around the lateral and inferior portions of your periumblical tissues.  Fat grafts would be my first choice.  No one can give you a definitive opinion without examining you.  There are lots of terrific Plastics surgeons in the Atlanta area.  Good luck 

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Yes, depth can be added to the umbilicus.

+1

You have correctly pointed out that the lack of fat or subcutaneous thickness in your abdomen is in part related to the flat appearence of your belly button.  There are a few things that can be done to correct this and which one are right for your depends on the appearence of your belly button and abdomen as well as your goal.  Fat grafting to the border of the belly button may help deepen the belly button.  The second option would be to pull the base of the belly button inward.  This is done via a small incision at the base of the belly button and a suture is used to pull the belly button inward.  Depending on your body both methods may be used if needed.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD