Umbilicoplasty for a Male?

I'm a guy and the thought of this has just recently crossed my mind. It's just something I'm more self-conscious of than anything. Can an umbilicoplasty fix my belly button?

Umbilicoplasty or belly button repair for "outie"

+2

An "outie" can be caused by redundant skin, or it can be an umbilical hernia.

In either event, an umbilicoplasty would likely be able to make the belly button protrude less.

If there is a hernia, I do not favor the umbilical transsection and mesh placement so often used by general surgeons, but rather a circum-umbilical incision (around the belly button), with direct repair of the hernia.

Umbilicoplasty for a Male?

+1
Yes it can be done, but as others note, you may have an umbilical hernia.  I recommend seeing a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for evaluation and then a proper plan can be put in place for you..  Best wishes.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Repair of belly button hernias. Los Angeles

+1
I repair umbilical hernias with a hybrid 'figure of eight' approach that minimizes scarring around the skin. Our office specializes in belly button revision surgery.

Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Umbilicoplasty

+1

Yes, there is something that can be done, but as the other plastic surgeons have noted here you need to see a surgeon to make sure that there is no umbilical hernia. If there is then the hernia would need to be addressed and at the same surgery, the umbilicoplasty can be performed.

To make it easier, I would find a plastic surgeon that is also a general surgeon who would be able to perform both the above procedures.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Yes

+1

What you may actually be dealing with is an umbilcala hernia.  An exam will be neede for diagnosis.  In any event, if a hernia is present, repair will correct the deformity, if  a hernia is not present, a simple cosmetic procedure should take care of it.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Umbilicoplasty for a male

+1

Although this is correctable, we first need to make sure there is no UNDERLYING PROCESS that my be causing the "semi-outie" umbilicus you are concerned with. Most board certified plastic surgeon trained either partially or completely in General Surgery and wound be able to examine and tell you if you have an umbilical hernia. Such a hernia can be readily fixed and an umbilcoplasty can be done at the same time as a joint procedure by a general surgeon with a plastic surgeon.

Good Luck.

You may have a hernia

+1

Hard to tell exactly what is going on there but you need to see a plastic surgeon to getan assessment. If there is a hernia there he may be able to fix it or send you to a general surgeon who can fix it. If there is no hernis he can tell you what can be done to improve it.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Umbilicoplasty for an "outie" belly button

+1

Absolutely. However, you must first determine if you have an umbilical hernia which is one of the most common reasons for an "outie" belly button. If this is the case, you may need your hernia fixed (herniorrhaphy). If not, a simple umbilicoplasty can be performed.

Umbilicoplasty

+1

Without an exam it's somewhat tough to tell but it looks like you have an umbilical hernia.  Have a general surgeon look at it.  I suspect a general surgeon can help you with your problem.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon