Will Umbilicoplasty Help This Belly Button? (photo)

I am five weeks post up from full abdominoplasty, diastasis repair and umbilical hernia repair with mesh. All of my swelling is gone, but my belly button looks very large and sticks out a great deal. Is this likely to improve or could I benefit from umbilicoplasty?

Belly Button Swollen 5 weeks after Abdominoplasty

+2

What you are seeing is normal after a tummy tuck. The belly button tends to remain swollen for a few months. Check with your surgeon and ask if you can start massaging it to decrease the swelling. It is very unlikely that you will need an umbilicoplasty.

Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Umbilical hernia repair in Los Angeles

+1
Umbilicoplasty is an excellent option for reconstruction of the belly button and correction of your abdominal contour.  Our office specializes in umbilical reconstruction in the Los Angeles area. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Belly button sticking out at 5 weeks after tummy tuck

+1

You are still relatively early in healing and thing will continue to improve over time. See your plastic surgeon.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

5 weeks post op surgery

+1

Thank you for your question and photos.

You are still very early out in the recovery process.   There is still swelling (can take up to 1 year to subside completely) and so it is very early to be thinking of additional surgery at this time.  I would suggest that you give your body time to heal and keep in close communication with your surgeon.  Closer to the 6 month mark, have a discussion regarding any issues you have with the previous surgery.

Best Wishes!

+1

Based on the posted photos you need revision of the hernia repair. Sorry for this issue but it can happen. Best to you. 

Will Umbilicoplasty Help This Belly Button? (photo)Answer:

+1

At 5 weeks its too early to tell....In my practice I usually fix the umbilical hernia at the time of the tummy tuck and do this with sutures only. I think sometimes in thin women the mesh can give a kind of bulge to the belly button...But give it time, at least 6 months, and see what settles in!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Umbilicoplasty

+1

Based on your pictures, you would need to be seen in person.  Your belly button does not look correct and there may be a recurrence of the hernia or other issue which needs to be addressed.  Surgery can help, but don't rush into anything, especially since you have mesh in there.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Belly button needs help after tummy tuck

+1

Something is not right and the sticking out is not what we like to see after a hernia repair. Typically the hernia repair will solve the umbilical protrusion and create a natural 'innie'. Revision or umbilicoplasty can help, though you should wait perhaps six months to restore circulation and fully heal the umbilical skin and stalk.

Best of  luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Umbilicoplasty after tummy tuck

+1
Your photographs show an abdomen which is still swollen. The swelling should subside within the next 3-6 months so it would be premature to think about umbilicoplasty at this point. Have some patience and allow the healing to take its course.

Robert L. Kraft, MD