Umbilicoplasty for an Outtie?

I've always had an outtie belly button since I was little. I've had it checked by a doctor and it is not a hernia. Now that I'm in my 20's I'm self conscious and won't show my stomach due to my outtie. I started doing research on umbilicoplasty and have a consultation next week. I wouldn't need any type of tummy tuck procedure with this since my only problem is the belly button itself. How long is the recovery time for this type of procedure? How long before I get to actually show off my stomach?

Belly button and umbilicoplasty in Los Angeles

+1

An umbilicoplasty coupled with a belly button scar revision will help the appearance of your belly button area and stomach line.  Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Belly Button Repair

+1

The operation for repairing an "outtie" belly button is fairly simple. Unlike true umbilical hernias, which require activity restriction for four to six weeks, this operation is fairly simple and carries with it a limited recovery period.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Umbilicoplasty for an Outtie?

+1

Depending upon exactly what needs to be done, your belly button may look good immediately following surgery.  There should be minimal pain and recovery should be short.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and umbilicoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Recovery Time for Umbilicoplasty?

+1

The “recovery time” associated with umbilicoplasty surgery should be brief ( possibly one day);  and should also be minimal discomfort associated with this procedure.   However, any resulting scars will take time to mature;  and may be a while ( depending on the specific patients “sensitivities”) before you feel comfortable “showing off” your abdomen. 

Do your due diligence carefully in selection of plastic surgeon and ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.   Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to  returning to specific  activities after the procedure.

Umbilicoplasty questions

+1

The umbilicus is basically a scar.  If there is no associated umbilical hernia then the correction can be very straight forward.  Most of these conditions can be corrected under local anesthsia with minimal discomfort or post operative recovery.  

'outtie' belly buttons can be repaired

+1

For 'outtie' belly buttons associated with an umbilical hernia - the recommendation is hernia repair and recreation of an 'inny' BB by a special suturing technique. Repairing an 'outtie' BB that is not associated with a hernia is even easier. Good luck ! 

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS