Umbilicoplasty float with muscle repair?

What would be the differences in recovery from umbilicoplaaty with umbilical float and muscle repair with no skin removal or liposuction?

Tummy tuck vs liposuction

+1

Regardless of skin removal, tightening of the stomach muscles is what makes a tummy tuck uncomfortable.  Liposuction is much easier to recover from but won't do anything to address loose abdominal muscles.  I agree with the answers below, listen to your PS, and wish you the best.

Recovery after Abdominoplasty

+1

It seems to me that you want to know the difference between doing an operation (Tummy tuck) with an umbilical floating skin excsion vs. no skin removal at all (only repairing a loose muscle). If so, I would say your recovery is essentially going to be the same. Because in order to do the muscle repair you still need a incision made in the skin. The question is to remove some skin at the time or not. If you really don't need much skin removed you may be able to get by with a minor skin excision. In such a case you may not want to make an incision around the umbilicus and you can float it (that is just cut it from its attachment to the abdominal muscle/wall. Expect a 1week-10 day recovery for this surgery.

Saeed Marefat, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Considerations

+1

There is minimal "medical" downtime associated with liposuction. A tummy tuck will have a much more significant recovery related to the muscle repair even when there is minimal or no skin removal. 

These tow procedures really do two totally different things and you should stringly consider what your problem is and what procedure best addresses the proble. Liposuction will not do anything for muscle separation.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

What hurts in a tummy tuck ?

+1

Thanks for your question.

With or without skin removal it is the muscle tightening that is generally the worst part of the discomfort in abdominoplasty.

In my own practice we use local anesthesia as part of the liposuction so this are is not usually the focus of the discomfort. Skin incision generally causes a burning sensation for about 12 to 24 hours after surgery, but it is the abdominal muscle tightening that patients mainly feel. I usually inject the muscles with a local anesthesia when my patients are asleep to help with the discomfort postoperatively. Some surgeons use pain pumps, but these have pro's and cons.

Because it sounds as though you need muscle tightening regardless of the approach I would recommend you base your decision on your goals with skin tightening. Full tummy tuck takes away the most skin, float will take less and is appropriate for a tall person with less skin or a very high belly button and mini will do less.

Hope this helps.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

+1

The skin incision and liposuction are usually less painful than the muscle plication.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.