Will an Umbilicoplasty Fix This? What Do You Recommend For My Upper Navel? (photo)

I am 5'3" and 125 lbs. After 2 kids, and several pre-pregnancy body piercings (including 2 above my navel) I am beginning to consider a cosmetic procedure. I have not worked out at all, and I know if I did- my body would respond, so I am hesitant for a full tummy tuck. The stretch marks on my lower abdomen actually don't bother me the way my upper navel does. I am wondering if there would be a procedure to just remove the stretch marks above my navel? Advice?

Piercing scar above umbilicus

+1

This problem of essentially a stretch mark due to an belly button piercing is something I see with increasing regularity and it is important for anyone contemplating a belly button piercing to think twice and hopefully not proceed with it.

You may be able to excise a small amount of this type of scar/stretch mark locally, however, you area is larger than most and involves the entire width across of the belly button.  I have to agree with most of the other plastic surgeons that you would be better off with a full tummy tuck and this would eliminate the scar from the belly button area.  If it cannot be completely removed it will be position lower near the pubic area where it will be covered by panties or a bathing suit bottom.  In addition, you will have the other benefits of the procedure with an overall improved appearance to your abdomen.

Thank you for your good question and for the photos.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Umbilicoplasty for stretch marks above navel

+1
Hi Pennylove,

The stretchmarks above your navel could be excised, however, there would be lots of pleating. The pleating could be revised at a later time when completely healed. Not sure if you will be happy with scar.
Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Will an Umbilicoplasty fix this? What Do You Recommend For My Upper Navel? ANS:

+1

well....that is a tough call but I am inclined to agree that it is probably too much to treat with just umbilicoplasty....It would probably reduce some of the stretch marks above the BB but I think you would be trading that for a scar....But if you did decide to try it, it may take 2 or 3 tries, but the good thing is that they can be done under local anesthesia...

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck for stretch marks after kids

+1

I recommend you work out for 6 months and see. If you like the results, don't do anything.  If your extra skin doesn't improve, then some form of a tummy tuck would likely be the best option. See two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area to see.  Best wishes.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Will an Umbilicoplasty Fix This? What Do You Recommend For My Upper Navel?

+1

After reviewing your written statement/question and posted photo (BTW very excellent exposure) you can understand that what you are requesting is not realistic. Read the other posters, who ALL say there are no minor surgeries to correct upper umbilical stretch marks. You can TRY noninvasive therapies but the only invasion will be to your pocket for $'s. Sorry. 

Sacr above the naval area

+1

Thank you for the question and the photo. You could try scar revision since it is in the medicine and has a more vertical orientation. That will give you some improvement. On the other hand, if you do a tummy tuck the scar will persist but it will move to the pubic area. So scar revision is a good answer to your problem.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Will an Umbilicoplasty Fix This?

+1

There is no minor procedure that can fix the stretched out skin above the belly button, and no attempt to pull the excess skin "into" the belly button works very well, and the resulting belly button looks terrible when I have seen this attempted on patients. The procedure required to tighten the skin above (and below) the belly button is a full tummy tuck. Anything less than this will give you disappointing results.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Will an Umbilicoplasty Fix This?

+1

Thanks for the question, and for including a photo. That really helps. Unfortunately the skin changes above your navel go too high for an umbilicoplasty to be of help. There is no other treatment such as laser, etc that would help either so please don't fall for those ads. You'll wind up wasting your money and still not have the results you are after.

An abdominoplasty would correct the problem, but I understand your hesitance to do that now. But do understand that physical exercise, while a good activity to do, will not correct the general skin laxity of your abdomen nor will it fix muscles that are separated by pregnancy if that is your situation. It may not be the case for you, it's difficult to know without an examination, but the likelihood is high considering how small you are and you've had the two pregnancies.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Tummy Tuck for Stretch Marks

+1

The best procedure for you would be a full tummy tuck.  This will help your peri-umbilical region and also remove all the stretch marks of your lower abdomen.  Additionally, your skin and muscles will be tightened to give you a nice flat abdomen.  Anything less than this will give a sub-optimal result.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Upper umbilical stretch marks may surely improved during a TT / las estrias pueden mejorar dramaticamente con el TT

+1

i am sure  during  your TT the stretch marks  can be improved just thigthing and refilling them with plastma the wont dissapear but improved a lot.

sus estrias  superiores al ombligo van seguramente a mejorar mucho  durante  el TT pero ademas se requerira de inyeccion topica de plasma, mas no desaparecerian por completo

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon