Umbilicoplasty 6 Months After Abdominoplasty- Unhappy With Results (photo)

Can my belly button be repaired to look like an innie from the picture? I had an abdominoplasty six months ago and am not happy with the aesthetics results. What are my options? I see my ps next week and want to have an idea of what I'm getting into. Thank you.

Umbilicoplasty versus more in-depth correction

+1

Thank you for the question and photos.  If your belly button alone is the main focus of your dissatisfaction with the appearance of your abdomen then an umbilicoplasty alone is all that you will need.  An umbilicoplasty can be performed under local anesthesia in the plastic surgeons office if he/she has the necessary medical equipment.  A more extensive abdominal rejuvenation can also be perfomed if desired.  Of course this will require formal surgery and an appropriate amount of recovery afterwards.

Dr Remus Repta

Umbilicoplasty for Revision of Belly Button after Tummy Tuck

+1

Hi there-

I do think that your belly button could be made to look better, but the technique and potential outcome, as well as the alternatives available to you would depend on your surgeon.

Remember that in situations like these, your chances of success and happiness will depend greatly on the relationship between you and your surgeon. You should treat it just like any other important relationship in your life- discuss the problem openly, honestly, and respectfully with your surgeon and understand that (I'm sure) he wants you to be happy.

I'm sure you'll find a resolution.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

+1

Agree with Dr Rand. But I recommend in person second opinions to determine if additional surgery can help. 

What kind of tummy tuck did you have??

+1

From your photos it appears like you had a tummy tuck with possibly a low horizontal scar and that the belly button hole moved down a bit and was closed as a separate vertical scar.  Personally, I would have advocated a higher horizontal scar and this would have eliminated the vertical and would have removed more skin and made a better belly button.  Only downside would have been a higher scar.  Nevertheless, that can't be redone and all you can do is ask the doctor what are the plans for the umbilical revision and ask for very specific descriptions of what they might expect to achieve.  If you aren't comfortable, don't do it then.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS