Umbilical Hernia and Other Complications? (photo)

I'm a 31 y/o female with a life long umbilical hernia that is about the size of half a golf ball,no matter what size meal I eat my stomach swells up right after, and i always end up looking pregnant. I have constant constipation mixed with diarrhea, with abdominal pain, is this the cause? Should I have surgery and if so which kind of doctor would best perform this and is it covered by insurance?

Umbilical Hernia and Other Complications?

Symptomatic umbilicisal hernias are a health insurance covered benefit, in MOST plans. Best to see either a GI doc or General surgeon for evaluation and work up. 

Umbilical Hernia and Other Complications

You should begin by seeing your primary physician, who may suggest a referral to a gastroenterologist or to a surgeon. An umbilical hernia alone would not typically explain the symptoms you are having. The hernia repair would be a covered procedure.

Hernia

You should be evaluated by a general surgeon and possibly a gastroenterologist before considering any cosmetic surgery