Can an umbilical hernia be remedied without a scar & big price tag? (Photo)

From posting this photo and asking about a tummy tuck alternative, I discovered my real problem is not skin sag, but rather an umbilical hernia. BTW, Thanks to all the Doctors that answered my questions and alerting me to this. Is repairing this hernia something I can have my insurance pay for or do I have to seek out a plastic surgeon?

Umbilical Hernia

+2
Umbilical hernia repair are generally covered by insurance.  This can be addressed by a general surgeon or plastic surgeon (many plastic surgeons are also general surgery trained).  The repair can be performed through a small incision in the belly button itself or laparascopically through several smaller incisions in the belly (placement of these smaller incision may depend on surgeon preference).  Either way, you WILL have some kind of scar.  The goal is to perform the hernia repair correctly and make the incisions in a cosmetically acceptable location.  Good luck and be safe.

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Umbilical hernia

+2
Thank you for your question. Just from the photo it does appear that you have an umbilical hernia, but you need to be examined to confirm it. I would find a board certified general surgeon or a plastic surgeon that is also board certified in general surgery. Umbilical hernia repair is a procedure that your insurance will pay for. The umbilical hernia will address the area around your belly button, but it will not address if you have skin excess in other areas of your abdomen. Good luck.

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Umbilical hernia can be repaired by your plastic surgeon

+2
Dear Gems,

An umbilical hernia is often covered by insurance.  It can be repaired in a variety of ways including with mesh or without mesh, by a plastic surgeon or general surgeon, laparoscopic or direct incision.  When performed properly an umbilical hernia repair can be performed safely and effectively with an inconspicuous scar.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Umbilical hernia

+2
An umbilical hernia is often covered by insurance, but it will leave a scar either above or below your belly button. There may still be some loose skin afterwards, which could be improved with Thermage skin tightening.

Charles Cope, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Can an umbilical hernia be remedied without a scar & big price tag?

+2
You have a small umbilical hernia with skin hooding over it. Both can be fixed under local anesthesia. Some insurances cover this procedures while others may require it to be a certain size and symptomatic. Check with your insurance carrier. 
Surgery will leave you with a scar. But the scar can be concealed in the natural fold of your navel. 

Maan Kattash, MD, FRCS

Repair of umbilical hernia

+2
Insurance does commonly cover repair of an umbilical hernia.  Keep in mind your deductible.  If you have a large deductible and you end up at a hospital having the procedure it is gong to get expensive even if your insurance covers it.  I commonly do the procedure under local in my office operating room.  Be sure to call around and try to find a surgeon who can help you save some expense.  

Terrence Murphy, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Umbilical hernia repair

+2
An umbilical hernia repair is a procedure that should be covered by your health insurance carrier. The scar from the operation is usually limited to a semi circular incision inside the bellybutton. If you are planning on having an abdominoplasty/tummy tuck then your plastic surgeon should be able to fix the umbilical hernia at the same time. If you only concern is the umbilical hernia then find a board certified general surgeon in your community. 

Michael Zarrabi, MD

Umbilical hernia

+1
You are right, insurance may well pay. For the umbilical hernia.  You should try to find a surgeon who can perform the hernia repair laparoscopically, avoiding the need for a large scar.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

TT and hernia repair

+1
Thank you for the picture.

In my opinion a tummy tuck can help with the skin laxity and this can also be combined with a umbilical hernia repair and benefit your condition.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon