Mesh Vs. Alloderm to Repair Umbilical Hernia?

I am in shape and thin, Im concerned that I would be able to feel this mesh or worse have complications from it! Would alloderm be a better alternative? Please Help

Alloderm in Hernia Repair

+1

I'm not sure why mesh would be required at all - umbilical hernia repairs are uniformly performed without this and with outstanding success...

With regard to your question, though, I would always prefer a biologic material like Alloderm (there are others), as over time your body will incorporate the material better and eventually even replace it with your own tissue.

Umbilical Hernia Repair with Mesh or Alloderm

+1

If you only have an umbilical hernia, in most cases there is no need for mesh or Alloderm. If you have a ventral or incisional hernia, then you may need mesh or Alloderm. But, even in those cases, it is rarely necessary. However, if Alloderm or mesh is used, in most cases you cannot feel it anyway. Good luck with your procedure.

David Shafer, MD

Umbilical hernia repair with mesh or biologic material

+1

The vast majority of surgeons tend to prefer the use of a mesh when repairing a difficult or resurrent hernia as opposed to the use of dermal allograft.

Umbilical Hernia Repair - Mesh VS Alloderm

+1

Personally, I am not sure WHY your umbilical hernia repair even requires an onlay mesh in the first place. The vast majority of these cases can be nicely repaired without anything except local tissue. If for any reason which you are not disclosing, you require added strength not provided with local tissue, I would prefer the Alloderm which with time becomes part of your own tissue (by in growth of blood vessels) rather than a synthetic mesh.

Get advice from more than one surgeon and see what the majority opinion on the topic is from those who actually examine you and are experienced in this matter.

Mesh for umbilical hernia repair

+1

If you have a small hernia, it is very unlike that you would need a mesh to repair the hernia. But if you do need one, it is very possible that certain types of mesh might be palpable in patients with very thin coverage.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD