I Have a Umbilical Hernia with Diastasis Recti? (photo)

Is there a way to fix the umbilical hernia and get the stomach muscles put back together without having to have a full tummy tuck? I'm 5'5" & weigh 130. I'm not really over weight or have that much loose or baggy/saggy skin. I don't want a huge scar and the tummy tuck seems so drastic. I live in Pittsburgh Pa so who would be the best doctor for this procedure & is this covered by insurance?

Umbilical hernia with diastasis extending to your ribs...

+1

If you walked into my office, the only option you would have is a full tummy tuck.  I would repair your umbilical hernia at the same time as part of your tummy tuck if you were willing to sacrifice your belly button and have a reconstruction at a later time.  Find out the options your surgeon can provide to you and proceed from there.

I Have a Umbilical Hernia with Diastasis Recti?

+1

Great posted photo of excessive inferior skin of the abdomen with a umbilical hernia and diastasis recti. So very simple response ONLY FULL TT is indicated. Doubt any health insurance would cover ALL the fees incurred but might cover the hernia portion??? 

+1

The only way to correct this would be with an open procedure to tighten the fascia and fix the hernia. If you are doing this, then you would go ahead and remove the excess skin as well. This would be a tummy tuck. The scar will be very low down by your hairline.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Your Best Option is a Standard Tummy Tuck!

+1

From your photo, you have excess skin, loose musculature and a wide belly button. Your best option would be a full tummy tuck with hernia repair. This would tighten your excess skin, fix your belly button hernia and shape, repair your muscle separation and tighten your abdomen. Deciding on cosmetic surgery is always a tradeoff in time and money for results. If your not willing to invest both, you can always accept the appearance as is. :) I would encourage you to look at before and afters of various surgeons and consult with an American Board of Plastic Surgery certified surgeon if you decide your interested in taking the plunge. It's worth it if your motivated!

Good Luck,

Dr Shifrin

David Shifrin, MD

Only in abdominoplasty will fix diastasis and an umbilical hernia.

+1

If you want to problem solve there was only one option and that is a complete abdominoplasty.

Umbilical hernia can be repaired during a Tummy Tuck

+1

A tummy tuck or Abdominoplasty is a procedure that consists of 3 components:

1. Skin removal

2. Fat removal

3. Muscle tightening

...or various combinations of the above.  Every case is individualized and umbilical hernia repair can be incorporated into the surgical plan if desired.  You do not need a "full tummy tuck", I would recommend an abdominoplasy with an umbilical float and umbilical hernia repair.

Certainly, one can have the umbilical hernia repaired without having a tummy tuck, but the abdomen will not look any better, just the hernia will be fixed. Tummy tuck incisions are very low and can be hidden in all 2 piece clothing, in fact in this situation, the hernia can be fixed through the tummy tuck incision without the need for an incision around the belly button. I would recommend that you should be finished with child bearing before undergoing this procedure.  Abdominoplasties are not covered by health insurance.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Umbilical hernia with Diastasis

+1

You have too much loose skin not to undergo a full tummy tuck. You should see a Plastic surgeon. He can repair both. Umbilical hernia is covered by insurance not diastasis.

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Diastasis Repair Best Combined With Abdominoplasty

+1

Thank you for your question and for submitting your photograph. Your insurance should cover the umbilical hernia repair and that can be done with or without the diastasis repair, however, it is extremely uncommon for the diastasis repair to be covered.

That being said, the very best results will come from a tummy tuck, where the diastasis can be repaired by sewing the edges of the rectus muscles back together, and the excess skin can be removed. In fact, someone with your body habitus (thin, fit, toned) is the ideal candidate for an abdominoplasty! 

Lawrence Iteld, MD

+1

The hernia will probably be covered by insurance, the diastasis not. The problem with doing the diastasis without a TT is that when the separated edges of muscle are brought together to the midline,it looks like two inches of skin will be dragged along, and may buckle along the vertical midline. 

From this photo, it looks like you have already had some surgery around the navel, as well as an appendectomy. There does appear to be enough skin excess to justify a TT should you so choose. But the tradeoff would be the TT scar. Best to discuss this with a plastic surgery and or general surgeon should you decide to address just the hernia.

All the best.