What Is Your Opinion On An Umbilical Float to Lower Tummy Tuck Scar? (photo)

Opinions to lower my recent TT scar and lift my still sagging mons further include removal of an inch of skin below scar, extend scar, anchoring sutures, lipo to pubis. One suggestion to maximize how much the scar can be lowered is to release the belly button and lift the skin to just above it. Realself has very opposing views on umbilical floats with regards to a modified or mini TT. What are your opinions on this please if we’re just aiming to lower scar? Thank you for your time.

Updated here.

+1

WOW what happened? Such a HIGH incision placement. I might rather try tissue expanders in the area of the scar and above to stretch the skin so as to lower the incision. The free float umbilicus could lower your bb to low. You need in person evaluation. 

Time is on your side. Wait for now.

+1

A high scar tummy tuck is unfortunate and not necessary. Now that the scar is there; however, I recommend the first thing you do is to wait one year for all the healing to take place and for the scar to fade to a more white color. Right now, it is red and it is the color that is bothering you.  After a year, you can decide if the float procedure is what you want. It may not lower your scar very much.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Killing the belly button

+1

A sure fire way to kill your belly button and add a new problem to the one you already have is to do a floating BB revision.  Not only is this likely to only marginally move your scar down (less than 1 inch from tight look you have in the photo), but there is no time when you are beyond the risk of necrosis since you have had the blood supply already divided around the BB and would further deprive it by lifting it off the muscles. 

Quite honestly, it doesn't look like there is much you can do at this point and I am assuming that you would only be happy with a substantial lowering of the scar and that isn't going to be possible unless you had lots of extra skin. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Umbilical float best with mini tummy tuck

+1

A high scar after tummy tuck is not necessary, but the options for lowering it are limited once it is there. The umbilical float is usually done with a mini, and only suitable when the umbi is high to begin with so it doesn't look odd when moved lower. It may be a reasonable option in conjunction with all of the other options you mentioned: skin excision below the scar and anchoring sutures. Wait at least 6 months because the blood supply to the umbi will be coming across the scar around it and not from its deep attachment.

Richard Baxter, MD

Translocation of the belly button is risky in your case

+1

The position of your scar and belly button is high . We do not have your before pictures to discuss the rational for the high incision placement. Floating the belly button in your case is risky because of the scar around the belly button. The main risk would be necrosis of the belly button. I would suggest to wait a year before seeking belly button translocation.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Umbilical float

+1

This is a perfectly acceptable procedure in the right circumstances. I think with you having had a tummy tuck already, the next step to lowering the scar would be an revision with a repositioning of the umbilicus a little lower by floating it downwards with the scar. Good luck

Timothy Fee, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Float the belly button to lower the tummy tuck scar

+1

The umbilical float is when the base of the belly button (the deepest part) is release/disconnected from its attachment and can be moved downward together with the skin around the belly button. I use this technique when the skin is not loose enough above the belly button that it will reach all the way down. It also is very good fo patients who do not want a scar around the belly button. It does have some limitations though and is not for everyone. In your case it will probably do the trick in letting the tummy tuck scar be revised downward. You should wait though, for about 6 minths to allow everything to get nice a soft and stretchable again. There is also a limit to how far it can be lowered and not make your belly button appear "too low".

Ronald Schuster, MD

How To Lower a Tummy Tuck Scar

+1

I agree with you in that your tummy tuck scar does look rather high, even though you have a very nice tummy tuck result overall.  The best way to lower your abdominal scar is to wait at least six months to one year after your initial tummy tuck, then have a revisionary surgery to excise a couple centimeters of skin from below your lower abdominal scar.  This will not only lower the tummy tuck scar that you currently have, but it will also raise and slightly flatten your mons as well.  Best of luck.

Jaime Perez, M.D.

Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa, Florida

Tummy Tuck Specialist in Tampa, Florida

Jaime Perez, MD