Does Ultrasound Stimulate Production of Collagen?

Does pulsed ultrasound such as that used by physical therapists help stimulate collagen and therefore, improve and tighten skin?

Ulthera Ultrasound Stimulates the Production of Collagen

+3

Hi Just,

There are some ultrasound technologies that do stimulate collagen growth by concentrating their ultrasound energy to an apex, creating heat at the specific desired point for tightening. One such technology is the new Ulthera.

I do not believe that physical therapy ultrasound is specifically concentrated for this purpose.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Collagen stimulation

+1

There is no scientific evidence that ultrasound can cause the stimulation of collagen production.

There are few procedures Like, Retin A, medium depth peels and CO2 laser that stimulate collagen. Ultrasound is not one of them.

There is no reliable and scientifically gathered evidence that externally applied ultrasound energy produces or tightens collag

+1

Hi there-

In this day and age, it is very important to realize a few things:

1. It is not safe to assume that because someone is a doctor, they are fundamentally an honest and ethical person. Doctors are under a lot of financial pressure, and I see more and more unethical behavior all the time.
  2. The manufacturers of medical devices, particularly those used in aesthetic care, do not take the Hippocratic Oath and respond only to their bottom line. This means that claims made by the manufacturer of any device should be viewed as aggressive salesmanship.
  3. If a doctor is spending a lot of time and energy telling you about their "revolutionary" new machine and very little or none explaining their education, training and experience, you should immediately run away. Most of these people are NOT plastic surgeons, and so need a gimmick to get patients in the door- hence the hype they create around their "new machine".

There is, to my knowledge, not a single scientifically based bit of research proving that ANY externally applied ultrasound device causes collagen tightening or increase in synthesis.

Find a surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery that you like and can trust and listen to their advice. And be careful.

Web reference: http://www.DrArmandoSoto.com