Ultrasound for Ruptured Breast Implants?

I went to a private clinic to have my boobs done 2 years ago, but now I may have a ruptured breast implant. Am I in any danger? Should I have the NHS or the clinic give me an ultrasound?

MRI is better for ruptured breast implants

+1

If you have silicone gel implants. I would suggest an MRI. They are more accurate. Ultrasound may miss a rupture. Saline implants flatten over a few weeks after a rupture, so if you had saline implants in place you would not require an MRI.

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Ultrasound for breast implant rupture depends

+1

Hi,

It depends on the type of implant you have. If you have saline implants, then an ultrasound is most likely not necessary as the saline will be absorbed by your body and your breast will appear smaller. This will not put you in any danger, but you will need to have the implant replaced.

If you have silicone implants, an ultrasound may somewhat be able to detect a rupture, but the best way to tell is to have an MRI. The silicone should remain in the pocket that was created when you first got your implants. However, small amounts could leak outside of the pocket. Silicone has not been proven to cause any illnesses or cancer, but you would want to have it checked out just to be safe. You would also then need a silicone implant replacement as well.

If it is something you are worried about, I would definitely go see your doctor.

Sam Speron, MD

Depends on saline versus silicone.

+1

Implant rupture is detected differently with a saline implant than a silicone implant. If you have a saline implant and have a rupture, this is usually apparent as your saline becomes absorbed in your body and your breast becomes smaller. There is no danger here but your implant will need to be replaced. If you think you have a ruptured silicone implant, you should have an MRI. Although an ultrasound may pick up a ruptured silicone implant, an MRI is the gold standard to detect this. If you do have a rupture, you will need to have the implant replaced with a new silicone implant. There are no studies that show you have any health risks. Check with your implant company to see if you have any insurance for implant rupture. Sometimes you do!

David Rankin, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Ultrasound poor indicator of ruptured implant

+1

First, it is unlikely that your implant has failed at 2 years. Why do think that it has?

Second, ultrasound is relatively inaccurate at detecting implant failure unless there is a very large quantity of silicone that has spilled out of the implant.

MRI scans are reportedly 90% accurate (10% inaccurate) and are expensive.

If you are having no problems with your implants, I would advise you to leave them alone. If they have ruptured, the capsule that forms around the implant will contain the silicone. Therefore you are in no danger. Discuss the situation with your plastic surgeon at your convenience. Many women have failed prostheses but don't know it. They do not suffer health consequences.

Discuss this with your plastic surgeon.