Is Ultrasound Massage Harmful to Breast Implants?

I recently developed capsular contracture and my doctor is giving me ultrasound massage on the affected breast. Is this harmful to submuscular saline implants? Also, I live quite a ways from my surgeon so to save myself the driving time I purchased a 1 mhz portable ultrasound (photo) . Are these as effective as the doctor visits?

Ultrasound and Capsular Contracture

+1

Capsular contracture is progressive and will likely continue despite ultrasound.  The ultrasound should not be harmful.

Ultrasound

+1

I dont think ultrasound is harmful to your breasts or breast implants. I dont think that singulaire is effective either but it is probably not harmful.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Ultrasound Therapy and Capsular Contracture

+1

Ultrasound does not provide enough energy to damage the shells of you saline implants. On the same note, the energy emitted by ultrasound probably will not make a significant difference in your capsular contracture problem. The use of a medication called, Singulair, has been shown to be beneficial in some patients with capsular contracture. If you are not taking this now, I recommend a follow up with your plastic surgeon to obtain a prescription for this medication.

Thank you for your question. Best of Luck!

Gregory Park, MD

Ultrasound not harmful to breast implants

+1

Ultrasound will not harm your breast implants, but there is also no definitive proof that it will help capsular contracture.  Most protocols for capsular contracture that utilize ultrasound also  long term antibiotics, as well as a leukotriene inhibitor (like Singulair or Accolate).  Though there have been many anecdotal reports of improvement there has not been a definitive study which shows this helps.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD