What is Ultrasonic Liposuction? and the Differences Between Regular Lipo and Ultrashape?

Hi there, I am looking for information on the differences between traditional liposuction or a tummy tuck as opposed to ultrasonic lipo or even ultrashape? I have lost about 25 lbs in te last 6 months and have a about 15 to go yet till im where i want to be but ive kind of hit a plateau lately. After losing the weight my stomach is what ive strated to call "lumpy" I want to get rid of the lumpy look of my stomach any thoughts on what would be the best idea? and the differences in prices? Thanks,

Non Invasive Fat Removal vs Invasive Fat Removal

A tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) and Liposuction by any method (ultrasonic, power assisted, traditional) are invasive and involves anesthesia with a significant recovery time. These are for more aggressive removal of fat (and skin with a tummy tuck).

UltraShape is a non invasive, non painful, quick procedure with no downtime for mild to moderate fat reduction. UltraShape® is a non-surgical treatment option that instantly and selectively breaks down fat cells in the targeted area/s, as well as tightens the skin. The targeted fat cells are released through the body’s natural metabolic processes. The treatment is performed in-office and requires no needles, incisions or anesthesia. There is minimal discomfort during the treatment and no bruising, swelling or downtime afterwards. Essentially a “walk-in, walk-out” 45 minute procedure. UltraShape® can be used to contour: Flanks, Abdomen and Thighs

UltraShape versus liposuction

UltraShape is a non-surgical, focused ultrasound treatment that ruptures fat cells.  There is no recovery or downtime.  Liposuction is a surgical procedure with downtime and is usually used to remove larger volumes of fat.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Ultrasonic liposuction versus Ultrashape - Buffalo Niagara, NY

Ultrashape is non invasive and uses the physics principle of cavitation to destroy fat cells and does not use incisions or tumescent anesthesia.

One of the benefits of Ultrashape is that it has no down time.

Ultrashape has very high patient satisfaction scores. 

UltraShape non surgical fat removal in our NYC cosmetic practice vs. liposuction

Tumescent Liposuction uses suction to mechanically remove fat, whereas ultrasonic liposuction uses an internal ultrasound cannula that delivers energy to vaporize the fat before it's vacuumed out.  Both of these procedures involves some down time with swelling and bruising and some tenderness.  UltraShape is an external non painful ultrasound device. It can be programmed to address individualistic nuances of convexities or humps in the surface of the fatty area. UltraShape is often done as a series of times as frequently as two weeks apart but usually liposuction is done one time. One needs to take this into consideration when considering the cost of the procedures which can vary depending on the city and physician. All of these procedures permanently kill the fat cells that are treated rather than merely liquify and shrink them temporarily.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Differences Between UltraShape and Ultrasonic Liposuction

UltraShape, Ultrasonic liposuction and traditional liposuction are all used to reduce fat.  The differences are that UltraShape is completely noninvasive, requires no anesthesia and has no downtime whereas, Ultrasonic liposuction  and traditional liposuction are invasive, requires anesthesia and have downtime. 

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon