Ultrasonic Lipolysis to Even out Liposuction Deformities. Experts' Views Please? (photo)

(1) A thought, I am giving to the "Ultrasonic Lipolysis" for unevenly suctioned fat on ab and thighs (only immed. above n behind the dents) to minimize the appearance of depressed area. In ab area, I might then require very less fat fill and in inner thighs (2)And then, eventually inject the fat small amount each time (layer by layer) to maximize the chances of fat survival and not be excessive in suctioning the fat from donor areas. (love handle, back etc.) Is it safe and reasonable in my case?

Ultrasonic Lipolysis to Even out Liposuction Deformities. Experts' Views Please?

+2

Forget the UAL just do fat grafting to evan the depression with riggotomies in the depressed areas. Goos luck 

+2

I perform about 500 liposuction and fat grafting procedures each year.  I use conventional liposuction to achieve those results.  Any heat source can compromise fat viability.  I would not recommend the lipolysis you cite in your comment either.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs HUNDREDS of liposuction procedures each year.  Look at the surgeon's website before and after photos to determine who will get you to your goals.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Ultrasound for revision liposuction depends on the specific issue

+2

Traditionally, "ultrasonic lipolysis" refers to ultrasonic-assisted liposuction, in which a probe emulsifies the fat prior to removing it with suction. It can be helpful in areas where fat is more dense, such as scar tissue. Although some may disagree, I think that fat that has been treated with ultrasonic lipolysis may not be ideal for grafting to fill in areas of depression. Also, these cases can take more than one session.

If your question refers to nonivasive ultasonic lipolysis such as Liposonix, it would probably not be ideal for a complex problem such as depicted in the attached photos.

Richard Baxter, MD

Liposuction dent correction

+2

I have done ultrasonic liposuction since 1996 and have a 2900 plus liposuction patient experience with ultrasonic liposuction equipment and its uses.   The plan you outline is a logical one and yes this approach will help.  The ultrasonic tiny probes are used to diminish high areas.  This is done in a very meticulous manner.  I prefer the Vaser system but the Lysonic system also can be used.  Smart Lipo of course is not ultrasonic and I do not care for it.   The approach can employ many small incisions and treat each area one  by one or it can be a broader expansive approach.   The fact  that the wetting  (tumescent) solution must be injected first makes it a little difficult to discern the dents,  so the areas must be extremely well marked prior to the actual surgery procedure.  The marking in such cases can take an hour on the morning of surgery.   Your surgery should be done under a general anesthesia.   This is not a quick easy procedure and the abdomen alone would take a good 3 hours to do perfect.   The fat loosened   from the high spots (liquified) generally is not removed but is left to find its own level.  Hopefully the dents would take in some of this liquified material of fibrin, fat, collagen, etc.  The material would simply run into the lower area as water does in a rainfall.   In removing the high spots the dents generally are freed up from their attachment but techniques vary.  So then attention is directed to your thighs which are considerably more difficult then your abdomen.  I would allow 1 and 1/2 hours for each thigh for ultrasonic treatment.  The same principles apply.   So then what?   A form fitting comfortable garment is applied to give support to  abdomen and thighs.  One might consider excellent fitting,  very snug panty hose for the thighs and a separate form fitting bathing suit type garment for the abdomen.   I would leave these on for 48 hours without removal.  At 48 hours, garment removal is fine and a shower  can be taken.   The same sort of garment set should be worn all the time for 2 weeks with time out for showers only.  Then garment wear can be decreased,   Then it is a waiting game.  After 6 weeks garments can be restricted to nights only.  Walking is fine but be protective for a month and don't do athletic activity until 4 to 5 weeks, but walk all you want.  The little fat cells and other mentioned material needs to settle and live. Mike Longaker, MD, at Stanford, has shown fat cells survive quite well with Vaser ultrasonic treatment and my name is included on the paper discussing this.  See Pub Med for this.  So when for the fat grafts?  I suggest no fat grafting for at least 7 months and likely more.  All depends upon how your swelling progresses.  It is impossible to place fat grafts in areas that are swollen and difficult to discern.  I think layering of fat is fine but I like to think that each grafting attempt is undertaken as a total problem solving event.  In all likelihood there will be 3 or more sessions.   As you can surmise this is a long process that demands much patience from you and your surgeon.   Remember you are doing this for a meaningful improvement and not a total correction.   While an 80% improvement of your abdomen is a possible goal,  your thigh improvement is lower and probably in the 65 % range at best.  I don't want you to be discouraged but it is important to be realistic.   You are undertaking a large and costly procedure and realistic expectations help prevent disappointment. I wish you the very best.  My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon