Is Ultrasonic Lipocavitation with the Evolase Device Safe?

I do realize that such non-surgical techniques can't deliver what surgical liposuction can. However I'd like to know, first and foremost, whether it poses any risks, such as scarring. Secondly, I'd like to know whether it can actually reduce fat from thighs and butt, and if so, whether the fat removal is permanent (assuming we continue to eat healthily and exercise regularly).

Ultrasonic Lipocavitation with Evolase

+1

I am unsure if this particular device would have any real effect on fat.  I would still recommend liposuction in which a small cannula is inserted and through which fat is removed.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Liposonix has an excellent safety profile

+1

It is very important to understand that there are important differences between various nonsurgical body shaping devices (see my article from the link.) The FDA clearance for Evolase (510K No. K111350) makes no mention of ultrasound or fat reduction, and at the frequencies and energy levels used it would be similar to a simple physical therapy ultrasound that just warms tissue. Liposonix on the other hand uses intense focused ultrasound, proven with clinical trials to permanently reduce fat in the treated area, after a single treatment.

Richard Baxter, MD