Ultrasonic Devices to Reduce Swelling After Liposuction?

I have seen many home hand held portable cheap ultrasound devices meant to be used for pain and swelling of joints and claim that they reduce swellings and inflammation. Would it be safe to use these on abdomen and flanks, applying the same theory , to reduce inflammation and swelling and thus formation of fibrous tissues? I am talking about ultrasound which does not penetrate too deep, something like 2-3 cm depth only.

Ultrasound to reduce swelling post liposuction

+2

Using various modalities to reduce swelling post liposuction can work. The cheap handheld ultrasound machines probable aren't strong enough to make a difference.  A machine like the dermawave definitly does make a difference.  We utilize this  in our practice for stuborn swelling. Massage can also make a difference with edema.  Compression garments  help most patients have a quicker recovery.  Remember that it can easily take 3-6 months for the swelling to resolve.

Good luck, and thank you for the question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD

Several studies have shown that using ultrasound post liposuction is a waste of time.

+1

Several studies have shown that using ultrasound post liposuction is a waste of time. It is often used to give the patient a sense that he or she is actively doing something to hasten healing, but it is a placebo effect.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Handheld Ultrasound Device After Liposuction

+1

The liposuction procedure is very traumatic to the subcutaneous tissue and inflammation is a natural bodily response. In order to reduce swelling and shape the body, I recommend that my patients wear Spanx for six weeks following the procedure. It is also important that you try to remain relatively active and massage the area to aid the healing process. Ultrasound devices found in stores do little to assist the swelling. While they will not hurt, there are currently no studies showing that these devices are affective. If you want to spend the extra money feel free to try it, but you do not need a handheld ultrasound device to recover properly.

Jaime Perez, MD
Liposuction Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD