Is Ultrapulse CO2 Laser the Same with the Original CO2 Laser?

Is the Ultrapulse CO2 laser the same thing as the original/ gold standard CO2 laser? If not, what is the difference? I am basically looking for the most aggressive, most invasive treatment for acne scars. I live in the southern California area and am having a hard time finding a doctor who performs the gold standard co2 laser resurfacing. I have found everything else under the sun however.

Ultrapulse Laser is NOT the same as the original CO2 laser

+1

The Ultrapulse Laser is NOT the same as the original CO2 laser. The original CO2 laser, if we can call it that, provided pulses based on the duration of the user's push on the trigger resulting in great variability and depth of ablation. Lumenis introduced the Ultrapulse in the mid-1990's as a revolutionary CO2 laser containing CPG (computer pattern generator) in which accurate CO2 patterns were delivered to the skin with a single push on the trigger.

Personally, I think both of these machines are as outdated as the Ford model T. The Ultrapulse is no longer being produced and most of those who own it got it from second and third hand sources. not a good thing for a laser that needs to be calibrated. Due to its depigmentation, prolonged redness and prolonged downtime - BOTH machines are museum pieces. (soon to be joined by the latest CO2 zombie -The Fraxel).

Respectfully, I think your goal "most aggressive, most invasive treatment for acne scars" is flawed. You may get much better resurfacing results with the Sciton Profile or Joule WITHOUT the downside and risks of antiquated CO2 resurfacing. Check the Sciton website out.

Dr. P. Aldea