Do Ultra High Implants Cause Atrophy? (photo)

I'm petite,295hp overs,diameter11,25,projection.4,6and completely dissatisfied.My breasts are sitting too low,nipples are way too high and the worst thing is that I have zero upper pole fullness and not enough projection.I want a semi-fake look.Round with upper pole fullnes and I desperately want the projection that gives theUHPbut a surgeon who looked at my pictures said thatUHPmay cause atrophy.Is that true?How could this be repaired?How to get the desired projection and the desired look?

+1

No UHP DO NOT cause atrophy. In your case as seen in the posted photos you are "bottoming"!!! Revision of the inferior pocket is the better approach in your case. 

Do Ultra High Implants Cause Atrophy?

+1

In general, larger implants and time contribute to tissue thinning.  Subglandular placement and higher profiles likely contribute as well.  The breasts pictured can be improved with a pocket revision to achieve the goals you describe.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations and breast augmentation revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Achieving Round/Projecting Look with Revisionary Breast Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.  The concerns of “atrophy”, in my opinion, are more theoretical than a phenomenon that has been documented in a good study.

Achieving the results you are looking for may involve more than the use of a different volume/profile of breast implant. Adjustment of the breast implant pockets (capsulorraphy)  may also be necessary to improve the position of the breast implants on your chest wall.  For example, internal suture "repair"  of the lower breast implant pockets may help keep the breast implants higher on your chest wall resulting in a fuller/rounder look and better positioning of the nipple/areola complexes on your breasts mounds.

You may find the attached link, discussing some of these issues, helpful to you.

Ultra High Profile Implants NOT SOLUTION!!!

+1

UHP implants do not cause anything except UNNATURAL appearing breasts.  Your implants are positioned TOO low.  You need to have your implants positioned higher beneath your own breast tissue by raising your breast folds with the placement of internal sutures.  This can all be done through areolar incisions.  

You should also go larger (probably to the 400 range) to get more cleavage and better fit your frame but I would stick with High Profile implants and not go to the Ultra High Profile.  The three photos you provided illustrate what happens when a bikini top or bra pushes implants UP...you can easily achieve this look with larger HP implants positioned correctly and still look somewhat "natural" when undressed.  You don't need UHP implants...they will just make you appear too unnatural...GOOD LUCK!

Eric Sadeh, MD

Do ultra high profile implants cause breast tissue atrophy?

+1

Breast appearance is better assessed with your arms at your sides.  If they look similar with your arms down, your breasts do demonstrate roundness at the upper border of the implants, however the implants are positioned too low relative to your nipples.  Repositioning the implants will help with your upper pole appearance, and will likely require modification of your implant pockets (eg. capsulorrhaphy). 

Ultra high profile implants (Mentor) add a significant amount of volume,  weight and projection for any given implant diameter compared to high profile implants, and may cause additional thinning of the overlying breast tissues.  They would achieve a look closer to the photos you provided as examples of your desired look (I would consider their appearance "fake" not "semi-fake").

Reviewing photos is not a substitute for an in-person consultation.  I would recommend that you consult with board-certified plastic surgeons experienced in breast augmentation revision, who can review your history, perform a physical exam and discuss options appropriate for you.  Bringing photos of your desired outcome with you to your consultations will help to insure that the surgeons understand your desired outcome.

Good luck.

Craig S. Rock, MD

Any profiled implant will look unsatisfactory if it is placed too low.

+1

The breast implants in the picture appear to be too low on the chest wall. In my opinion high profile implants can look artificial even in the best of circumstances. They do not cause breast tissue atrophy.