Does Ultherapy Work on the Hands?

Ultherapy is not FDA cleared for use on the hands

Tightening of the skin on the hands is not something that Ultherapy is cleared for by the FDA.

If there is thin skin on the hands, it usually means that there is also thin fatty tissue underneath. Given that this is HIFU, the US energy will be attenutated and absorbed in the metacarpal bones ... 

I don't recommend its use for the hands. 

Ultherapy has not been promoted, nor cleared, for use on the hands

Even with the most superficial, 1.5mm deep transducer, the ultherapy's energy may be delivered too deeply for the hand. If you are trying to build up collagen, then Fraxel Restore is an excellent therapy for the tops of the hands. Several treatments would have to be done.  Fillers such as Restylane, Radiesse and Fat injections have been used, off-label, to build up volume which is often needed in the aged hand to help hide the bulging veins.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Ultherapy is not FDA approved for the hands

Ultherapy is not FDA approved for the hands.  But, like other areas of the body such as the knees or the thighs, Ultherapy can tighten and stimulate collagen in this area. I usually prefer to use Radiesse or Sculptra for the hands as these injections tend to thicken the skin and give a very consistent result.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ultherapy treatment for hands

I agree with posted comments that it is not currently recommended for treatment of the hands.  Cosmetic options depend on what you want to achieve.  Are there dark spots you want to remove?  Are you concerned about the "wrinkled" look or the prominence of "veins" on the backs of your hands?  The treatments recommended (Lasers, FotoFacial, fillers, bleaching agents, etc.) are determined based on what specific problems you are having.  Please contact a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for a consultation on what would be best for you. I hope this helps!

Curt Samlaska, MD

Ultherapy Not Approved For Hands

Ultherapy is FDA-approved. It is commonly used on areas of the face and neck to address sagging of the eyelids, brow, cheeks, chin and jawline. It can also improve marionette lines and folds and a downturned mouth. The whole face may be treated for an overall tighter, more toned appearance, or individual areas may be targeted. However, it is not currently safe to use on the hands.

Not currently approved for use on hands

Ultherapy is not currently approved for use on the hands. Theoretically it would provide adequate skin tightening but there are no studies to show proven results in this area. Also, it would be very difficult to make contact as this is a bony area, making a thorough treatment difficult to deliver. At this time, Photofacial IPL, fillers, and topical products will provide the best results on the hands.

Theresa M. Jarmuz, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy for Hands

Although Ultherapy would potentially work on the hands for rejuvenation, there are better treatment options.  Generally speaking, IPL and filler are the best choices for the hands.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon