Does Ultherapy work on brown skin?

Does ultheraphy work on brown/asian skin? Best to get it done from a dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon? Does one has more advantage over the other?

All skin colors good for ultherapy

+2

Unlike lasers which is a specific wavelength of light , ultherapy is highly concentrated and powerfulr ultrasound waves. it's depth of penetration depends upon which module the doctor is using and the needs of the patient . In reference to which specialist is better it's hard to say. However the one with the most experience is usually the better choice. We have been told that we were the first practice on the east coast to own the Ultherapy device so we have gained a lot of experience with it and have been invited and participated in several ADvanced Users workshops. In our practice we have found it helpful to separate the invasive and noninvasive roles of skin tightening and facelifting. Namely the dermatologist perform all of the noninvasive procedures including Ultherapy, while the plastic surgeons perform the facelifts and other invasive procedures.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Ulthera treatments for dark skin - Los Angeles

+1

Ulthera is an excellent modality for dark skin types and works well on the lower face, jowls, and neck.  Raffy Karamanoukian, Santa Monica

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Ultherapy is not a laser so its target is not color. It is safe to use in patients with skin of color

+1

Ultherapy uses ultrasound which stimulates movement in the molecules of the dermis, regardless of color of the epidermis. Unlike laser, color is not the target, so it can be used safely with all skin types. I am however, more cautious with the superficial 1.5 mm. transducer as it can cause some welts but they go away quickly. In skin of color there may be a theoretical risk of a welt causing some post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, although I have not seen this.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs

Ronald Shelton, MD

Ultherapy For Dark Skin

+1

Yes, it does work on Asian/brown skin as it does not have anything to do with the pigment in the skin. It's best to get it done from someone that you trust. An important question is to ask the office how long they've had the machine, as this can give you insight to experience. 

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Ultherapy Skin Colors

+1

Ultherapy works on all skin colors because it is not a laser, but focused ultrasound energy that works underneath the skin.  Many board certified facial plastic surgeons offer Ulthera as an alternative to more invasive procedures such as a facelift. I personally perform the procedures myself but depending on where you go, physician extenders can also perform the treatment.

Carlo Honrado, MD, FACS

Ultherapy on all skin types

+1

Ultherapy is safe for all skin types.  We have safely treated a wide variety of ethnicities with Ultherapy with very nice results.  Ultherapy works by microfocused ultrasound that promotes collagen synthesis deep in the skin and muscle.  So, is not dependent on or affected by skin color.  It is more important for your physician to have experience with the treatment than be a particular specialty.

Angela Sturm, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy works well and safely on all colors of skin

+1

Since Ultherapy is the administration of focused ultrasonic energy which goes right through the skin with out any injury, it can be used on all skin types and colors. While it doesn't give the same spectacular results of a surgical brow lift or face lift, it is a very effective way to help lift and tighten the face. It usually gives about 30-45 % correction. The good news is that it is a safe effective treatment that does not require needles, surgery or any real discomfort. The only down time is about 45 minuets of post treatment redness. And for additional results it can be repeated for additional improvements. There have been soon recent modifications which have improved the results and added new areas to treat. 

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD

Does Ultherapy work on Darker Skin?

+1

Hi,

Ultherapy is not a color specific laser.  Instead it is micro focused ultrasound targeted to below the skin to lift.  It works beautifully on all skin types.  We have performed it on a variety of skin types with consistently wonderful results.  There are no adverse effects or decreased results in ethnic skin.  I have had it on my own skin which is Asian and I love my results!

Warmly,

Dr. Liu

Grace Liu, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Ultherapy is color blind and safe for dark skin.

+1

Ulthera is done with a color blind deep ultrasound energy delivery and is safe for all skin types. It has no effect on surface pigmentation, but targets the deep dermis and connective tissue layers to achieve skin tightening and lifting.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy works on all skin type

+1

Yes, ultherapy works on Asian skin.  It works on all skin types because it utilizes ultrasound technology and is thus able to target the deeper layers of fascia below the skin.  This focused energy bypasees the skin's surface and results in collagen stimulation and overall skin tightening,

Ritu Saini, MD