Ultherapy Vs. Liposuction For Neck? (photo)

I have a few lbs to loose but neck has always been an issue. Trying to decide what would work best for me ultherpahy or liposuction. What are the pro/con of each? What are the cost of each?

Liposuction alone can make a big improvement in necks.

+2

Liposuction under local can make a big improvement in necks for $2500-3250 with only 1 day downtime. It is often sufficient that other procedures aren't necessary or can be done later. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Hanging necks treated with Ultherapy, liposuction and neck lift

+1

You would need an in person evaluation and examination to determine the position of your trachea and the hyoid bone as well as the amount of fat that exists in the submental pad. Sometimes liposuction alone not only reduces the fat significantly, but the skin does retract and the result can be excellent without surgery whereas, in other cases, surgery is needed to produce a great result. Ultherapy by itself will not reduce the fat content which probably is a large component of the shape of your neck. It might be used after the neck lift or liposuction to thighten the skin of the neck.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD

What to do? Ultherapy, Liposuction, Facelift

+1
Wow, you've received quite an array of suggestions here.  As in any situation, it helps to have all of the facts. Your age, your future "plans" for plastic surgery, your present "tolerance" for plastic surgery, and will you ever consider surgery at all? These all enter into this decision making process.  Vaser liposuction alone or followed with Ultherapy might be a reasonable option. Formal surgery will give you be the best result, but is that within your comfort zone?  Since you have all of these potential options, find a provider that can provide you with all of these options and have a frank discussion as to your goals. 

Ronald A. Lohner, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy Vs. Liposuction

+1

Ultherapy addresses the loose skin, and improves the texture of your neck skin. Liposuction eliminates the fat, and does very little to tighten the skin. For many of my patients, I often recommend doing both because they treat different things. Ultherapy is non-invasive with no downtime, whereas submental liposuction is a minor surgical procedure and the risks should be discussed with your Facial Plastic Surgeon. Cost for these procedures start at $1500 and go up depending on number of treatments, and whether it is just neck or includes the face.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck

+1

you have a significant amount of fat in the neck and its removal will only leave significant hanging skin. You need a formal necklift

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Neck Improvement May Require More Than Just One Approach

+1

In looking at your pictures, the debate is not actually between Ultherapy and liposuction of your neck. It is really between liposuction and a formal necklift. You are not a good candidate for any type of energy-based skin tightening, your neck problem has long passed what those devices can do. It is question if even liposuction can produce enough of an improvement given the amount of skin you have in your neck. Perhaps liposuction combined with secondary Ultherapy would be more acceptable. Although this approach would only be reasonable if you can accept the risk that those results may leave loose skin that may still need to be treated later with a necklifting procedure.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

What to do about the neck

+1

Based on your photos, you have a moderately thick fat pad, and lax skin, and descent of your cheek fat pad resulting in jowls, prominent nasolabial folds, and down-turned corners of your mouth.

Based strictly on those physical findings alone (and some I can't tell without exam), I think skin tightening would not be worthwhile for you.  I am worried that liposuction alone on the other hand would leave you with sagging skin.  Perhaps laser lipo may be a reasonable compromise, but I think you may want to consider a face lift.

best to you.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Consider liposuction and Ulthera together

+1

Because liposuction removes fat and Ultherapy tones skin, they are not reallly alternatives but often work well together. I have done several cases where the Ultherapy is delivered immediately after the liposuction. This has the advantage of minimizing any discomfort because the numbing solution that is injected for the lipo is still in effect for an hour or so after. However, even combining the two procedures does not substitute for a facelift so a personal consultation with a plastic surgeon who does both facial surgery and Ulthera is the best way to find out what is best for you.

Richard Baxter, MD

Liposuction of ultherapy of neck

+1

Liposuction will debulk the neck and you may get enough skin redraping to avoid other procedures. The ultherapy may be good as a secondary procedure to tighten the neck skin a bit.

Ulthera

+1

It appears from your photo that liposuction of the neck would reduce the fullness and improve the contour.  The amount of skin retraction is dependent on your skin quality and elasticity.  Ulthera as a secondary procedure may further improve the neck contour and may tighten the skin after you have completely healed from liposuction.

Lawrence Enisman, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon