Can Ultherapy Help Festoons or Sagging Skin Under the Eye Area?

I'm not sure if I have festoons or just aging sagging skin under my eyes. When I pull the skin upward I look a lot better/younger. I always thought eyelid surgery would be enough but now after researching I'm not so sure. I'm confused about the best way to fix the problem if it is festoons-laser or taking out fat ? I keep reading diff procedures for this prob confusing! Or if its sagging skin can ultherapy fix it or is a lower blep better? thx Any advice on what is best if one or the other?

Ultherapy not good for festoons of the lower eyelids

+1

I would not expect Ultherapy to lift the lower eyelid skin. It may tighten this skin and with some patients the redundant skin could respond to the Ultherapy and become tighter but it might pull the lower eyelid down in your skin. You need to see an expert oculoplastic or plastic surgeon to determine if you have festoons (fluid retention) vs. droopy inelastic skin.

Ultherapy for Sagging Skin Under Eye

+1

Thank you for your question. Ultherapy is commonly used on areas of the face and neck to address sagging of the eyelids, brow, cheeks, chin and jawline. It can also improve marionette lines and folds and a downturned mouth. The whole face may be treated for an overall tighter, more toned appearance, or individual areas may be targeted. This is an ideal solution for individuals with mild to moderate sagging in the face and neck who are not yet ready to undergo more invasive surgical procedures. Ultimately, without photos it is difficult to determine which treatment would work for you. I would suggest consulting with someone experienced in Ultherapy to see if this is an option. Best of luck.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Ultherapy around the eye area

+1

Festoons are areas where fluid has collected along the cheek and can be confused with eye bags. But, they’re really cheek bags. It’s a difficult problem to treat and there are many possible treatment options. Ultherapy could work, but it has not been approved by the FDA for this indication.  However, we have seen some good results in using it for festoons. If you are having eyelid surgery for eye bags, the surgeon should recognize that you have a festoon and treat it.  Otherwise, this surgery can make the festoon look worse.  Sometimes fillers underneath the festoons can help.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ulthera can work around eyes

+1

Ultherapy which uses highly focused ultrasound energy for noninvasive skin lifting can be an effective option for the lower eyelid area, but only for the part that is outside of the eye socket. You would need to see someone experienced doing Ulthera in order to determine whether it would be a good otpion for you.

Richard Baxter, MD

Ulthera does work on on periorbital skin

+1

Ulthera can help tone the upper cheek area along the orbital rim.  They are working on developing a transducer for the actual eyelid, however, there is a real difficulty in designing an eye shield to protect the eye.  Once they have figured this out I'm sure you will see Ulthera blepharoplasty becoming available.  I hope this helps?

Curt Samlaska, MD