I am getting Ultherapy this Friday. 9 days later, I have an important event is this risky?

I have read a few reviews that had bruising and swelling for a couple weeks? Is this rare? What percent of patients see no real issues like these? I do not want bruises, swelling or sagging. What is the chance I will look worse before I look better?

Recovery from Ultherapy

+1
The majority of patients experience little to no downtime after the Ultherapy treatment. Some patients experience slight redness or mild swelling immediately after the treatment but it is very mild and does not last long. Bruising is also uncommon in patients and most people are able to resume normal activities right after their treatment.

Ultherapy can bruise - depends on different factors

+1
This response is past your time frame, but it is a good question.

You certainly can bruise with Ultherapy. Your age, medications, supplements, overall health, skin sensitivity and even lifestyle can impact many treatments. A safe window would be a couple of weeks, so even if you did bruise, by then it would be resolved enough to be easily camouflaged 

Many over the counter supplements and anti inflammatories thin the blood and make bruising more likely.  Fish oil, aspirin, ibuprofen, St. John's Wort and others do thin the blood - the list can be quite long, so check with your physician's office about what to stop when. (If you are on RX blood thinners, you will want to talk to your primary physician about undergoing any treatment that involves bruising potential.)

We've included a video below of one of our patients.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Is it Okay to do Ultherapy with an event in 9 days?

+1
Hi,
Occasionally, patients may have bruising with Ultherapy.  Generally, the bruising is minor and resolves in 4-5 days.  To minimize this, we recommend stopping any aspirin or fish oil 10 days prior to Ultherapy and to start Sinecch oral Arnica before your treatment. 

Dr. Liu

Grace Liu, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Arnica Bruisestick before Ultherapy if there is a risk of bruising

+1
Ultherapy bruising may sometimes occur in the region of the facial vein and artery. I would optimize your skin by taking BruiseFighter supplements and using an Arnica Bruisestick.

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Minimal down time with Ultherapy

+1
While there may be some swelling or redness of the skin after Ultherapy, this is usually minimal and lasts only a day or two. The full results will not be seen for about 3 months.

Richard Baxter, MD

Recovery after Ultherapy

+1
Most patients have no downtime and no bruising or visible swelling after Ultherapy, which is partly why it is such a popular treatment. However, many practices use fillers or perform laser peels at the same time as Ultherapy, and these can have some downtime.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
For the vast majority of patients there is no downtime associated with Ultherapy treatments. People are typically able to go back to their normal routines immediately after the treatment. 

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Ultherapy Treatment and Post Procedure Limitations

+1
In our experience, patients return to full functional activity immediately after the procedure, where most patients go to dinner the same evening. There is mild redness in the treated areas that are lessened with the use of topical hydrocortisone 1% creme immediately after treatment. It should not be an issue to plan an event the following day or 1 week after Ultherapy. Read the Ultherapy book provided on the link below.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

No Downtime with Ultherapy

+1
Dear MRC2,

Ultherapy is a completely non-invasive treatment associated with zero downtime and few side effects.

Patients often experience slight redness for a few hours following Ultherapy treatment. A small percentage of patients may experience other temporary side effects such as mild swelling, tingling, or tenderness to touch. Bruising is very uncommon (although not impossible) using the most current treatment approach.

Warmest wishes,
Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

After Ultherapy

+1
The most common thing we see after Ultherapy treatments is some redness in the treatment area. This is usually mild and disappears within 24 hours. We have seen the occasional bruising in patients who have more of a tendency to bruise, however this is rare and mild in nature. Any bruising can be covered up with makeup. Enjoy your event!

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon