Ultherapy Yesterday; Lip Very Swollen, Eyes Swollen, Chin Bruised. Options?

I had my ultherapy treatment yesterday, The technician also did my upper lip,I have a slight amount of swelling around my eyes and a bit under my chin along with bruising in the under chin area. but my upper lip looks ridiculously swollen. I look like a duck, would this go away. I have taken anti infammatories,ice packs seems to help but as soon s it removed the swelling goes back to the way it was before.

Swelling after Ultherapy

Hi and thank you for your question!
Swelling is not completely unusual after Ultherapy, however it does sound like you are experiencing more than average, however, this does not sound to be a complication. The upper lip is an area that is more prone to this. However, we like our patients to call with any concerns, so you may want to give the clinic a call so they are aware.
I would suggest Arnica Montana tablets and topical gel, along with NSAIDS and you can also try an antihistamine such as Claritin. Also, continue as you have been doing, icing for up to 72 hours.
After 72 hours this should be gradually improving. If not, then make call the practice to let them know what's going on.
Dr. Grant Stevens

Swelling after Ultherapy is minimal

The amount of bruising and swelling after Ultherapy is limited. It is promoted as a no downtime procedure and this is the case with my patients in a large clinical experience since 2011 as well as the many doctors who write about Ultherapy on this forum. 

I have even done Ultherapy on patients with anticoagulants (blood thinners) who had minimal bruising.

Swelling is limited with application of ice and taking ibuprofen an hour before and immediately before starting the procedure and a bioflavonoids formula called Swell-X. 

Read my Ultherapy ebook provided on the link below. Go to the ebook section. 

Ultherapy May Cause Bruising

Complications with Ultherapy are rare, but the most common one we see is bruising and edema. This can be mitigated with NSAIDS (anti-inflammatories) and ice. Occasionally we’ll use our pulse dye laser to combat bruising in the area. There’s some really nice data out of Germany that supports bromelain for swelling and bruising, but this holistic trend has yet to be fully accepted by U.S. dermatologist.

Bobby Buka, MD

Swelling after Ultherapy

Ultherapy is an entirely non-invasive procedure and as such, there is no downtime. You are able to return to your normal activities right away, and there are no special measures you need to take.There may be slight redness for up to an hour or so following the treatment, and a small percentage of patients may have slight swelling, tingling or tenderness to touch, but these are mild and temporary in nature. Since your treatment was only yesterday, give these symptoms some time to subside. Best of luck.

Bruising and swelling in regards to Ultherapy

Ultherapy does not usually cause a lot of bruising and swelling. When it does, ice packs can help. Try to stay away from aspirin and anti-inflammatory drugs for the first 3 days after Ultherapy, if there is swelling or bruising.  Vitamin K cream can help bruising. Sleeping with your head elevated on two pillows can help with swelling.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Arnica may help reduce swelling after cosmetic surgery and cosmetic procedures such as ultherapy

the swelling and bruising from ultherapy is expected to go away. Some doctors recommend Arnica taken by mouth to reduce the potential of swelling and bruising from Ultherapy although this plant derivative does not guarantee that bruising won't occur and the swelling can still be significant.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon