Ultherapy and African American Women? Are There Practice Findings Yet?

Has Ultherapy been around long enough for there to be findings from physician's practices on African American women? I'd be very interested in knowing more about how this procedure works with people of color. Thanks for any responses.

Ultherapy is cleared for treatment on skin of color

+1

Fortunately, Ultherapy, a non-invasive skin lifting device, is not contra-indicated on patients with skin of color as there is not a risk of Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation as there might be with laser resurfacing treatments.  The focused ultrasound energy bypasses the epidermis without injury and creates heat in the dermis.  There have been no reports of which I am aware, to-date, of keloid formation as a result of this treatment.

Ulthera is safe for all skin types

+1
Ulthera uses untrasound eneregy to stimulate your own collagen to tone and lift your skin. This is safe for all ethnic skin types including African-Americans (Type VI). I have performed ulthera for many Asian and African Americans without any skin problems. 

Kyle S. Choe, MD
Virginia Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ulthera (Ultherapy) for African American skin

+1

Ulthera is non-ablative, which means it doesn't damage or remove the skin's surface. It uses focused ultrasound to traumatize the skin causing a healing response that results in new collagen formation (neocollagenesis). Since it passes through the top layers of the skin, it is safe in all skin types. What is not yet known is whether more neocollagenesis (and therefore a better result from Ultherapy) may occur in African American patients since darker skin types are more prone to thicker scars and keloid formation.

Thanks for your question.

Steven Goldman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Can Ultherapy be performed on Afro-American skin?

+1

As you are no doubt aware, certain aesthetic procedures carry increased risk of complications in skin of color.  Intense pulsed light therapy being a prime example of this.  Ultherapy is ultrasound based and color-blind.  Its action is completely independent of skin pigment. 

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy for all skin types

+1

Unlike lasers such as Fraxel, ultherapy uses highly focused ultrasound energy to stimulate collagen regeneration for noninvasive skin lifting.so it can be used on all skin types. While I don't know of any studies specifically on darker skin, the procedure is very popular in Asia, and we have used it on a range of skin types including African-American.

Richard Baxter, MD