If Ultherapy Affects the SMAS Layer What Will Happen when I Plan a Surgical SMASlift

I Ulterapy tightens the SMAS layer, how will this affect a surgical facelift with a SMAS procedure at a later stage.

Ultherapy's effect on the SMAS should not jeopardize a future facelift

+1

There may be improvement with the collagen production and holding powers of a future facelift after Ultherapy has it helps recondition the supporting structures of the face.

Ultherapy should not adversely affect SMAS facelift later

+1

Ulthera uses highly foused ultrasound energy to stimulate collagen regeneration in layers such as the SMAS in the face where there is a lot of connective tissue. Stronger collagen should be a good thing as far as the need for future surgery is concerned. While Ulthera can be repeated to help maintain and boost the effect, I do not agree with the idea that it is a temporary effect (see one-year results below). It is more like setting back the aging clock.

Richard Baxter, MD

Ultherapy Benefits Facelift Results

+1

Although the number of patients that have had both is small, the increased collagen resulting from Ultherapy benefits the results of a facelift.  We have a number of patients that ask this question.  They are not yet ready for a surgical procedure, but don't want to burn any bridges for the future.  If you are in this situation, rest assured that undergoing Ultherapy now will not be detrimental to having a facelift in the future.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ulthera and SMAS effect

+1

Personaly I have not performed a facelift or otherwise have gotten access the the SMAS for any patient that has received Ulthera.  Since the results are only designed to last about a year, the overall long term effect on the tissue that Ulthera treats should be negligible.  Also, it is important to remember that Ulthera is designed to be utilized once a year at most.  At this interval the potential long term effect on the SMAS is further diminished.  With age we loose volume so fat grafting is always a beneficial ancillary procedure with any facial rejuvenation surgical case.  The potentially small amount of fat lost through Ulthera will easily be replaced by the fat grafting.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD