What Does Ulthera Actually Treat?

My question is regarding what Ulthera actually treats. I know it is used to firm saging skin but does it do so by eliminating wrinkles as well or does it only tighten the underlying structure. Just wondering if it helps where someone has loose skin caused by wrinkles. Will it tighten skin but leave wrinkles in tact? What is the effect on the surface of the skin 3 months after Ulthera? Thanks.

Different types of wrinkles will be affected by Ultherapy differently

+1

Static lines at rest, usually from sun damage, will not improve from ultherapy as it is a lifting device.  There are some lines that are caused by the tissues above it that sag and create pleats.  If the skin then is lifted, the pleats smoothen out, but not completely as Ultherapy can not produce the same results as a face lift.

Does Ultherapy Treat Wrinkles

+1

Because the ultrasound energy passes through the skin to the deeper structures, its effect on the skin is secondary.  The primary effect is lifting and resupporting the facial structure.  Fine lines and wrinkles are better treated with a different procedure.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ulthera more for lifting than wrinkle reduction

+1

because Ulthera works on the tissue layer under the skin, the intended effect is lifting by tissue tightening. There may be some improvement in wrinkles but that is not the primary efffect. The best results in my experience are in patients in their 40's - 50's who don't have enough laxity to need a facelift.

Richard Baxter, MD

Ulthera tightens the skin and underlying tissue

+1

Ulthera is a new therapy that uses highly focused ultrasound to heat up tissue at a predetermined depth under the skin.  Currently the tissue treated is at two depths, 3mm and 4.5mm below the surface of the skin.  The heating up of the tissue causes a controlled injury and a subsequent wound healing response that tightens the skin and underlying tissue.  We have been seeing some wonderful, but non-surgical, results at 3 months. 

Luis Zapiach, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon