Can Ulthera Be Used Both Inside and Outside the Jowls?

I have an asian-american, and thus a "fat" face. Ulthera has a wand that can be used externally. Since the jowls are rather thick, would or could I benefit from Ulthera placed inside the mouth to hit this ~2-inch square jowl area to get rid of this jowling? I do not think a single external application would be sufficient.

Ultherapy for Jowls

+1

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, Ultherapy cannot be used inside the mouth - only externally.

Ulthera is not able to be placed intra-orally

+1

Frequently in my experience a wide face typically seen in certain Asian population is due to the masseter muscle hypertrophy and not to excess fat . Ulthera is able to penetrate to different depths through the skin to deliver focused ultrasound energy causing tissue injury and stimulation in different layers causing tightening and elevation of sagging skin and underlying connective tissue. It is not possible to use Ulthera intra-orally nor is it necessary. The most important factor is being a good candidate for the procedure as the results are conservative and optimal in younger patients with minimal solar elastosis and skin excess. I am not aware of any difference in effectiveness based on race and carefully selected patients of any background are able to reach their realistic expectations after full consultation with a qualified physician.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy for treating jowls

+1

Ultherapy is used in treating mild to moderate skin sagging as well as the jowl area although not surgery it can give nice results in the appropriate patients. It is used on the skin surface and not intraorally.

Good luck

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy is not a treatment for fat reduction of the face

+1

As there is no evidence that Ultherapy can induce fat reduction of the face, there is no merit in treating fat cheeks from outside and inside the mouth.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Role of Ulthera Non-Invasive Skin Tightening

+1

Ulthera is a very good technique and technology that has scientific documentation on improved skin tightening by collagen re-shaping. It is not a substitute for a facelift, but works well in patients with slight to moderate skin laxity in the face and neck area. I have used it often in patients who have slight skin and neck loosening several years after a facelift and it works reasonably well in these areas. It is a worthwhile technology.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Ultherapy of the jowls

+1

Thank you for taking the time to ask your question.

Unfortunately, due to the the size of the hand piece and transducer, one will unable to use it inside the mouth as it would not fit.  Plus, the jowls overly the bony area of the jaw and due to the anatomy, you would not be able to address this area room inside the mouth.  

However, do not worry.  I have treated many patients of Asian descent (even those with full jowls) with excellent results.  By concentrating on the jowls externally, you can get some really good tightening as both the deeper and more superficial layers of the skin are getting treated.

Hope this helps.

Carlo Honrado, MD, FACS