How Long Until you are Proficient in the Use of Ulthera?

Is there a special art to having Ulthera treatment because my Plastic Surgeon has only used the machine for 3months. Should I find a more experienced doctor who has used it more or do all doctors use it the same way?

Ulthera treatment experience

+4

Ulthera does require extensive training, but three months of use should allow your surgeon ample time to become quite skilled in the use of this non-invasive technology.  Moreover, as you are seeing a plastic surgeon they likely have experience with ultrasound technology and imaging during their surgical training--which facilitates the use of Ulthera significantly.  Finally, decision making is the most important factor in determining your outcome; a plastic surgeon has a whole host of options to help you achieve your goal and can inform you of all the alternatives from non-invasive, minimally invasive, or surgical treatments that only they can offer.  Best wishes in your endeavors.

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

How long to get good with Ulthera?

+3

I don't think you can put a specific time for how long it takes someone to become proficient with a specific procedure. ( ie Ulthera) .More importantly, how many cases has he performed during the 3 months time in the specific areas that you are looking to get treated.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

How long to be proficient in Ulthera?

+2

There are several aspects to develping proficiency with a new technology. One is simply becoming familiar with the techniques, which doesn't take long with Ulthera. The other is adjusting technique based on patient outcomes, which does take a few months because the results take that long to happen. Refining patient selection and procedureal technique is an ongoing process.

Richard Baxter, MD

Ultherapy Training

+1

This is an excellent question. Owning a piece of equipment or technology does not necessarily make someone proficient at using it.  That said, most board-certified plastic surgeons have excellent knowledge and understanding of facial anatomy as well as background in ultrasound technology. This education, combined with the training provided by Ulthera would typically result in your plastic surgeon being well-trained within 3 months of using the equipment depending on how many procedures they have done in that time.  Still, Ultherapy technology is still relatively new and is still evolving.  In my practice the number of lines of energy and depth of the lines used are varied according to the individual patient's skin elasticity, fat, and areas being treated and this continues to evolve.  We also provide a complimentary Radiesse and facial fillers to our Ultherapy patients, so you may want to shop around a bit until you find a plastic surgeon who you feel comfortable with and one who can provide you with the best service. A board certified plastic surgeon will have many different options available, surgical and non-surgical,  to help you achieve your goals - good communication is key.  Good luck. 

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Training for Ultherapy

+1

The Ulthera company is very good about training doctors in Ultherapy and give the doctor guidelines to follow which are organized very well and are followed very easily during the treatment.  Doctors who had peformed Thermage previously will find this a different treatment but some of the concepts are the same.  After several treatments, most providers will feel very comfortable and I doubt you would get a much better treatment from one vs. another, but there might be some nuances that might benefit your particular circumstances that an experienced physician can provide to you that are not part of the standard guidelines.

Ronald Shelton, MD

3 months is fine

+1

Ultherapy is very straight-forward and easy to learn.  I would not be concerned about 3 months of experience, I think that is a good time period.  Laser resurfacing has a much steeper learning curve.

Having a physician perform the treatment, especially on the face, is always preferred.  Always ask questions and don't be afraid to get 2nd and 3rd opinions.  How many treatments have they performed?  Can I see before and after photos?  What complications have you seen?

Hope that helps.

W. Matthew White, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon