Can I straighten my crooked nose? How old would I have to be to get it straightened?

In 14 and my nose is very crooked, I can't really breathe as good out of my right nostril as good as my left. How old would I have to be to get it straightened?

How old to get nose straightened

+2
It's usually ok to consider having nose surgery to straighten it out around 14-17 years old. It sounds like you have quite a bit of functional problems with breathing from your nose so this aspect could be improved as well.

You and your parents should consult with a surgeon who is experienced in correcting this type of problem. you can read more about crooked nose repair and see some before and after photos at my web reference link below.

Septorhinoplasty Candidate

+2
Dear Lilyme, You are certainly of age at this time to consult with surgeons with your parents present for consent. Upon examination and consultation it would then be discussed what your surgical needs are to attain both proper function and aesthetics. It seems you are a probable candidate for septorhinoplasty which is a combined procedure. The "septo" portion addressing the septum and breathing issues and the "rhinoplasty" portion addressing the aesthetic changes you desire. Digital imaging may be done during the consultation to show you and your parents the proposed surgical result. After this a surgical plan with a time and date may be set and this will depend upon the maturity of the nose, your specific needs,  etc.. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Age of rhinoplasty

+1
Great question!  In general your nose keeps growing  all the way to the completion of puberty.  A lot of people might suggest that you wait until that time.  Given your functional problems with breathing it might make sense to do it early.   

Chad K. Wheeler, MD
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

Straighten a crooked nose

+1
Dear Lilyme
  • How old do you have to be for rhinoplasty? Well, it depends on how severe your breathing problems are, as well as how much growth you have left as you get older. 
  • We repair children's noses with rhinoplasty at young ages, but most wait until your face has matured for a  cosmetic surgery.
  • It is worth discussing with a surgeon and your parents, 
    • possibly checking the cause of your breathing problem with a small camera, 
    • and reviewing the best options for you.
  • Best Wishes 

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1
If you nose is crooked and creating difficulty berating you are a candidate for surgery and only need parental permission 

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

14 Year Old with Crooked Nose

+1
A setorhinoplasty will be necessary to straighten your nose and improve your breathing. I will do this procedure in a female  beginning at age 14-16. Remember, you will need parental or guardian permission.

rhinoplasty to straighten a crooked nose

+1
 The rhinoplasty procedure can straighten the crooked nose. This is accomplished with medial and lateral osteotomies of the nasal bones and re-setting them straight. In addition a cartilaginous spreader graft harvested from inside the nose  will most likely be required on the concave side. For many examples of crooked nose repair in our practice, and more information, please see the link below