Sudden Shooting Pains?

Hi i had my BA 14months ago, i went from a 32a to a 32dd. I've always had the odd shooting pain, when i had my 1 year review my surgeon had a look and a feel and said it's normal to have some pain? But now for the past 3 days i've had a shooting pain that comes suddenly then disappers then comes again and so on. It's only in my right breast? i'm wondering if its maybe how i've slept or something like that or should i be worried?

Shooting Pains 14 Months After Breast Augmentation

+1

Thank you for the question. It is certainly not unusual for women to experience pain after a breast augmentation, even this far out. Most of these aches and pains are self limiting and will resolve with out any sequela.However there are other anatomical structures that can be feasible culprits (ribs, muscles, lung, pleura, etc.). Should symptoms persist follow up with your surgeon.

Best of luck.

Pain in the breast 14 months after breast augmentation is not necessarily related to surgery.

+1

Women can experience breast pain for variety of reasons. After breast augmentation it should not be present that any breast pain is related to the augmentation.

Pain in breasts

+1

It is not unusual for patients to have occasional pain in one or both breasts after implants, even in the absence of anything obviously wrong.  You say your surgeon has already confirmed the implants are okay.  I suspect it's the weight of the implant pulling against the chest muscle.  Most of the times I have seen a patient with this, it eventually subsides.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Sudden Shooting Pains in Breast

+1

If the pain runs from the lateral portion of your chest to your nipple areola complex, it is probably one of the sensory nerves from the intercostals (T3 or T4).  The plastic surgeon can diagnose this more effectively.  In some patients, I have injected local anesthetic in the distribution for relief and diagnosis.  Sometimes, the nerve is involved in a scar band.  If the breast is hard as well, capsular contracture is a concern.  Your plastic surgeon should be able to sort  this one out.

Shooting pain in breast

+1

Shooting pain in the breast can be caused by many different things. The best way to properly evaluate this is to be seen in person.

Sudden Shooting Pains

+1

Diagnosing breast pain is always difficult. If there is a capsular contracture, which you  can probably tell yourself if the implant has become firm, it is likely that that is the cause of your discomfort. 

Most other patients never find a cause, and usually the pain is self-limiting. Possible sources include the breast, adjacent muscles, bone, cartilage, and sometimes the pleura, the lining of the chest cavity. If this persists, a call to your surgeon is in order. Often better at diagnosing these are the PA's who work with breast surgeons.

Thanks for your question, best wishes.

Pain after breast augmentation

+1

thank you for your question!

There can be several reasons for persistent breast pain after your surgery. The most common cause is pressure by the scar capsule around your implant.  This is called capsular contracture.  It can cause pain by pressing on the nerves close by.  It can also cause deformity of the breast if it continues to develop over time.

A sudden increase in pain may represent a recent change in your breast tissue such as the development of a cyst or a collapsed or clotted vein in your breast.

If accompanied by a palpable mass in your breast, retraction of the nipple, or nipple discharge, this could represent a new breast growth that could be of concern. This may require additional work up with either ultrasound, mammogram or even MRI if indicated along with a thorough physical exam.

I would return to your plastic surgeon and voice these concerns.

Good luck!

Shankar Lakshman, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon