What Size Implant?

I'm having my 700cc implants removed soon as they are way to big. I'd like to be a full c but I'm not sure what that translates to in cc? Can anyone help please?

Breast Implant Exchange

+2

700cc is a large breast implant size.  Typically,wWhen downsizing implant size the implants require adjustments.  Many times a breast lift may be required.  Assessment of the patient pre-operativley is required to make a recommendation of a new implant size and the need for a lift.  The patient should be well informed to be able to make an educated decision as to proceed with the procedure.

Thank you for your inquiry.  Sincerely,  Benjamin Schlechter, M.D.

Reading Plastic Surgeon

Downsizing breast implants

+2

700cc is a very large breast implant.  In order to downsize to something smaller you will likely also require a breast lift in order to achieve the nicest breast shape.  Revision breast augmentaion surgery is difficult and you should consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon with experience in this area in order to achieve optimal results. 

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Hello

+2

In our practice we like to tell our patient’s that 200-225cc equal to about one cup size. Size has a lot to do with what kind of breast tissue you bring to the table. Without an exam or a picture it’s hard to advice on what size implant you should go with.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

What size for a replacement implant

+1

I agree with the responses regarding cc's and cup sizes. It's the same issue before putting an implant in for the first time. It depends on what size you start with, what implant diameter fits your breast, and what forward (profile) volume you choose. This varies from one to two cup sizes of increase and you end up with a number of cc's, not start with it. 

In replacing an existing implant, you are starting from the number of cc's but there are still dimensional considerations. If your shoe had accommodated a big foot then you can't just switch to a small foot and expect it to fit. 

For decreasing size of existing implants without complicated reconstruction of the capsular pocket around the implant, you can drop the forward profile of the implant but you can't decrease the base diameter of the implant reliably. If you have a high profile implant now, you can change it to a medium profile implant and lose about a half cup of volume in the forward dimension. You could even drop to a lowest profile implant and lose about a cup size from where you are now. 

The other option is to remove the implant completely and let your tissues recover and then see what you still want to consider such as a lift or returning to a properly sized implant. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Changing implants

+1

I agree 700 cc's is very large. As for the right new volume for you, it is impossible to say without an exam and discussion of your goals.

Sizing breast implants

+1

Given that you already have 700 ccs, there will be stretching and thinning of your tissues from the large size.  Only a surgeon who has examined you can comment on size but please realize that you can't predict cup sizes in implant surgery.  Please be sure your surgeon is very experienced and communicates well with you.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

What Size Implant?

+1

Implants come in cc, not cup sizes.

How large you will be with a given implant depends on the amount of your own breast tissue present. A 300 cc implant will not yield the same size in a patient with an A cup breast when compared with a patient with a C cup breast. 

As a very rough rule of thumb, each 200 to 225 cc of implant will give one cup size increase. The cup sizes are different for different band sizes (32,34 ,36 etc), so this is only a rough guide. 

A careful discussion with your surgeon is manditory to avoid still another surgery after the upcoming one. 

Thanks for your question and best wishes.

What Size Breast Implant Would Work for Me for Revisionary Breast Surgery?

+1

Unfortunately,  despite what you will hear from a variety of different resources, there is no direct correlation between size of implant and cup size. There is simply too much room for error to base your communication of your goals referring to cup sizes.

In my practice, I find the use of goal pictures much more helpful than the use of somewhat arbitrary cup sizes which, as you know, can vary from one bra manufacturer to another.

It is also possible that you will benefit from adjustment of the breast implant pocket itself ( internal suture repair)  if you are downsizing the breast implants  significantly.

The best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural”  or “perky size D” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.