I'm from the UK ,in a Month's Time I Am Having a Second Breast Reduction and Uplift.

I would like advice regarding the most effective and safest technique to be used. My surgeon said he would use the superior pedicle or breast mound pedicle technique using the Wise pattern skin excision. As I understand it this is the anchor shaped scar, or inverted 'T. Is this correct? Am wanting to improve the shape of the areolas which are mishapen. My original reduction was 11 years ago using the superior pedicle technique. Feeling v. anxious, any advice would be much appreciated.

Breast Reduction - Second Procedure; Same Pedicle as First Time Around?

+2

Hi 8 days ago by anon9450,

You will, of course, need to get the specifics of any surgery you're planning from the surgeon who will be performing the surgery or, at least, from surgeons who can examine you in person.  Without that, or a photo (at a minimum) it is nearly impossible to offer you specific advice.

That being said, if you had a superior pedicle procedure the first time around, then using that technique for the secondary procedure sounds like the right thing to do.  The concern is the blood supply to the nipple and areola.  Using one technique at the first procedure and different one the next time around risks compromising that blood supply.  Depending on how much time has elapsed, new blood supply may or may not have been developed.

The anchor shaped incision is used to address excess skin, and may be beneficial with any of several different pedicle techniques, including inferior, superior, superomedical and superolateral.  It is a different issue from the pedicle.  The more excess skin you have, the more likely that the anchor-shaped pattern will be advisable for you.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Repeat Breast Reduction?

+1

It sounds like you are aware of the potential conflict of supply when a redo breast reduction is performed.

The concern is related to blood flow to the remaining breast tissue;  is important to perform the operation in such a fashion that the blood flow to the nipple/areola/breast tissue is not compromised.   The  part of the tissue that is left in place  after breast reduction surgery is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola/ breast tissue. If the pedicle (that was used during the previous breast reduction procedure)  is cut  then the blood flow to tissues may be compromised leading to serious competitions such as tissue necrosis etc.

It may be helpful for you to find the previous surgeon's  operative report  prior to the redo surgery.