Mini Face Lift, Scars Are They Going to Ever Heal? Also Bad Looking Scar on Face Not Where Stitches Were Even Put? (photo)

mini face lift/ e 5 weeks ago by a PS I have seen his work is normally very good, How ever I think my ears are a mess, I have still got scabs that are not healing at the back , I was on antibiotic cream 4th week , to put on Hydrocortisone 5th week, i am due back to PS soon ,I think this is going to scar badly 1 week after op a scab come in front of ear, The PS said this will fall off eventually and said scar be ok he said 2 weeks ago but has got worse since, have i got pixie ears? and is scar bad?

Open wounds 5 weeks after facelift suggests poor blood supply

+3

Thank you for your question.  I agree with other respondents that your eventual scars will be much better than they look now.  The wounds will heal, will go through a phase where theyare quite pink but eventually should be smooth although perhaps lighter in color.

My concern looking at these wounds is that you have poor blood supply to the facial skin. Are you by chance a smoker?  Usually when there is an open wound in front of the year there is some factor that decreases blood supply to the facial skin which usually heals very well.  These factors can be smoking, blood vessel disease such as an autoimmune disease or other medical illnesses.  It is particularly likely that there was some factor decreasing blood supply considering this was only a mini facelift and not a full facelift.

I suggest he see her plastic surgeon and ask him if there are any factors that could cause decreased circulation to your facial skin.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/surgical-procedures/face-lift/

The ear area heals slower because of limited blood supply, but healing can be improved

+2

In face lifting surgery, the area which has the least amount of oxygen or blood supply is the very edge of the skin flap of the ear. Even in patients who are non-smokers, they can have a compromise in the oxygenation of these tissues that can affect the integrity of the skin. This may lead to necrosis or the death of the tissue if the area turns black.

In your case, you are dealing with a breakdown of the skin resulting in scabbing and bleeding. It's very critical at this period that we prevent any bacterial infection because you have an open wound. I recommend that you wash your hands frequently. In my practice, I use a material called extracellular matrix which we use in incisions to help with the healing process of the skin. It heals by duplication of the normal cells so that the incision lines heal beautifully.

Pixie ear by definition is an earlobe that tends to be pulled downward because it looks like it has a little point. From the photo you submitted of your left ear which looks rounded, I can't say that you have a pixie ear. I advise that you wait for about 6 months before planning any type of revisional work or any intervention until you can see the changes after everything settles.  I hope that was helpful, and thank you for your question.

Web reference: http://prasadcosmeticsurgery.com

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Open wounds 5 weeks after facelift

+2

are unusual but not unheard of.  Your scarring will be better then you are anticipating.  Your scars do go farther then a 'mini' facelift so perhaps your doctor did a little extra for you.  You will heal and once you are, then you can critique your resultant scars and talk to your doctor about it.  As for pixie ears, you do not have them but they usually develop over time as your neck pulls on your earlobes.

Facelift scars at 5 weeks

+2

You definitely have scars that do not look like they should at 5 weeks.  You have delayed healing in the cheek in front of the ear, something that will occur because of poor circulation in that area and that can be from excessive tension placed on the skin. You do not have the classic pixie ear but sometimes that may not appear until all healing has occured.  You need to consult with your PS and get another opinion if you are not satisfied.

Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift scars should be practically invisible after healing.

+2

There certainly is some problem with the incisions shown in the photograph. This is very atypical the facelift and should be investigated by the plastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,23-atlanta-facelift.htm

Facelift scars and healing.

+2

The scars you have are not typical of the fine line scars one sees after a facelift. Return to your surgeon now and have a discussion on what will happen since it appears you may have some discoloration of the skin. If you are not satisfied get a second opinion so that you will feel comfortable about your progress and further treatment.

Scars around ears after facelifting

+2

You are at a very frustrating stage where it has been a while since the procedure and yet you still have some healing issues.  It seems your surgeon is a very conscientious doctor who is taking good care of you and at this stage that is the most important issue. You do not have pixie ears and the scars are mostly all in areas that when healed will be discreet.The incision also looks to be very precise which means it was closed meticulously. Hang in there because it is going to get better and in time these areas will vastly improved.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Mini Face Lift, Scars Are They Going to Ever Heal?

+1

You have some serious healing issues on your face and behind your ears. These need to be debrided and possibly cultured. Dressing changes  may be indicated as well as antibiotics. You will need a scar revision when this is all healed.

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Poor Healing After Facelift

+1

Thank you for your photos.  You have suffered from some tissue loss.  These wounds should be managed conservatively until they healed.  The scars then can be revised if necessary.

Dr. ES

Mini Face Lift, Scars Are They Going to Ever Heal? Also Bad Looking Scar on Face Not Where Stitches Were Even Put?

+1

Dear tiara,

Thank you for your question and photos. You have either poor circulation, a lot of tension on the skin, or both.  This can cause delayed wound healing and tissue death to parts of the skin.  You will heal eventually, but it will take longer than normal.  continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon. The best treatment at this point is antibiotic ointment and dressing changes.

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon