Juvederm Ultra Breaks Down from Day One?

I've had too much juvederm injected into my cheeks and am considering using hyaluronidase verses waiting for the product to dissipate on its own. The filler has not caused unsightly issues or pain, but my cheeks are much too big due to too much product being used. Does juvederm begin to break down from day one or does it remain intact for say 6-12 months and then breakdown? I had the filler injected two months ago since if it is reducing from day one, it may be a less risky option to wait

Juvederm in cheeks lasts 6-9 months

+2

Most of the time it is best to allow fillers such as Juvederm to slowly break down rather than use hyaluronidase enzyme to dissolve it. Technically the product does begin to break down from day 1, but the effect is gradual. So when we say that it lasts 6 to 9 months, it doesn't all go way suddenly at that time. In the meantime you will go through a phase where it is just the right amount, but if you dissolve it with hyaluronidase it will all go away quickly.

How Long Does Juvederm Take to Break Down?

+2

Hi TMF.  Juvederm will begin got be metabolized by the body immediately after injection.  In most cases the product will last between 6-9 months in this area but in some cases can last up to a year.  

You will see the cheek area deflate or get smaller in size slowly over these time periods.  Hyaluronidase will give you immediate results.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Too much Juvederm in cheeks

+2

Juvederm breaks down gradually over a period of time. In some cases it can last up to a year but It depends on the area. The trouble with using Hyaluronidase to break it down sooner is that you can't exactly predict or control how it will dissolve. If the product is smooth and the only issue is that you feel there is too much it might be better to wait it out. 

Sam Naficy, MD

Too much Juvederm in cheeks

+2

I doubt that the Juvederm in your cheeks would last 12 months.  In that area, I would say it might last 9 months at the most.  You could wait another few months and let the Juvederm dissipate by itself, but if it is a concern to you now, it's a relatively simple procedure to have some hyaluronidase injected into the area to speed up the process.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long does Juvederm take to break down

+2

The actual particles that Juvederm is made from start breaking down immediately (just like Botox or any other injectable). But the rate of breakdown increases over time. So while you may see absolutely no change for a few months, it is actually breaking down, a bit. But it will accelerate more at the end and breakdown faster. It's not a constant. If you aren't happy with your injectable, you can easily get a bit of hyaluronidase injected by an experienced physician. That breaks down the Juvederm almost immediately, and you can remove what's overdone, you don't have to remove everything.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Juvederm duration of effect

+1

Juvederm filler is a hylauronic acid based filler like restylane. It is felt to last between 6-12 months, but this depends on various factors including where it is injected, who injects it and how deep, and more. It does start to very slowly dissolve after injected starting from day 1, but you would not be able to tell or feel this.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

When Does Juvederm Break Down?

+1

Thank you for your question. Initially, you an undergo some swelling which may last up to 2 wks. Juvederm can last 6 months up to a year in some people and in certain locations.  Hyaluronidase helps break down unwanted fillers. If you're not having problems or pain on your cheeks, I would leave the Juvederm and let it get metabolized naturally to prevent further issues or concerns.   I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Juvederm in cheeks

+1

If you believe that the Juvederm is not resorbing fast enough, you can have hyaluronidase can be injected to accelerae the breakdown, which otherwise can last up to 13 months in some individuals. Always err on the side of conservative injection with fillers in the future - "they can always add more ..."

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Juvederm Ultra breaks down from day one?

+1

In general, Juvederm lasts for 6-7 months on average, and sometimes longer. The amount of time it lasts can vary depending on the amount of filler used and the location. Waiting is an option. However, if you are in the hands of a professional, dissolving the filler with hyaluronidase can yield a great result. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD