I Had a Mini Tummy Tuck a Year Ago but Still Have Very Red Thick Scar?

I had a mini tummy tuck on 09.06.2012 but I still have very red thick scar. I wonder if anything can be done about it. I also exercise 4 times a week but have not achieved a flat tummy. Do I need to see my surgeon again please let me know what to do. Thanks

Belly Button Repair or Revision Tummy Tuck Tuck - Los Angeles

+1

It would be nice to follow up with your surgeon.  Treatments for red belly button scars include laser and TAC injections. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Addressing a Thick Red Scar After a Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

Having a thick red scar after one year is slightly unusual, as most scars do mature after a year to 18 months. Some modalities can be employed such as compression garments, silicone gel sheeting, and local steroid injections. This can often flatten a thicker or red scar. Sometimes even laser can be employed to reduce the thickness or redness of some scars. Exercising four times a week is helpful, however, if the abdominal scar laxity wasn’t addressed at the time of the mini tummy tuck then this could be the reason why your abdominal area looks less than flat. I would recommend seeing your surgeon regarding the results as it relates to your expectations of a flat tummy. All the best --Dr. Cohen

Michael D. Cohen, MD

Scar After Tummy Tuck

+1

It is difficult to give you accurate advice without an examination.  Scars can take up to one year to fully mature and fade.  

I would recommend that you continue to have your follow up appointments with your surgeon and discuss your concerns with him/her as he/she has your best interest in mind.

Scarring after Tummy Tuck

+1

Thank you for your answer.

It's hard to give you a definite answer without a picture, but in general, scars fade in time.  If you have a persistent thick, red scar; you may have what is called a hypertrophic scar.

One of the best treatments for this is to have your scar treated with a Profractional Laser with a series of 4-5 treatments.  This will help flatten and take the redness out of your scar.

See a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

After mini tummy tuck?

+1

Hello and thanks for your post. The color of your scar maybe normal, but if it is getting thick, it might be a good idea to see your surgeon. Tummy tuck will usually make you flatter, but not totally flat. The operation has limitations. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

I Had a Mini Tummy Tuck a Year Ago but Still Have Very Red Thick Scar

+1

You do need to see your surgeon for advice. There are a number of remedies available to address the scar. Your surgeon can also advise regarding the contour. WIth photos, we might be able to give some advice, but would still refer you to your surgeon. All the best.