Is It Possible to Damage Sutures 10 Weeks Post Op After a Tummy Tuck?

I had a tummy tuck 10 weeks ago. I returned to the gym recently after 8 weeks and after jumping up and down, felt a fuzzy, fizzy sensation-like soda being poured on my abs immediately afterwards. When I checked in the shower, the lower right side of my abdomen had a distinct bulge. 3 days later, the bulge is still there and the contour uneven. Surely I have not damaged the repair after this long? I have not done any an work at the gym yet. Is this just fluid accumulation? Feels v hard!

Can A Tummy Tuck Be Damaged at 10 weeks?

+1

If all has healed well, after 6 weeks I usually tell my patients that they can return to all activities without concern.  That being said, your story is concerning because of the sensation that you felt and the fact that your new swelling has not gone down in 3 days.  I would recommend an exam by your plastic surgeon to determine what the cause is, especially if things don't improve over the next 2-3 days.

+1

It's possible, but unlikely. This is most likely a fluid collection underneath the skin. Go see your surgeon ASAP and have him/her diagnose you problem.

Good luck

Kenneth Bermudez, MD

Is It Possible to Damage Sutures 10 Weeks Post Op After a Tummy Tuck

+1

It takes on average about 3 months for the healing strength reaches 90% of its ultimate maximum. That is the rationale for most surgeon's advice to wait for that long before stressing the repair with heavy exercise. 

Without a photo it is not possible to guess among the possibilities, but given your description and timing it may be that some of the muscle repair has been disrupted. 

The best way to determine what has happened will occur in the setting of a visit to your surgeon. Thanks for your question, best wishes. 

Tummy Tuck Sutures

+1

The suture line should be fully healed at 6 weeks under normal circumstances. It may be fluid, but bast plan is to visit with your plastic surgeon for a check-up.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon