I Have Ugly Spaces Between my Teeth..should I Have Braces or Retainers? (photo)

i have these small spaces in between my teeth..particularly the front ones..no crooked ones just obvious spaces..i hate looking at it especially because it look's like i lost some teeth.. my teeth are like smaller than normal and i heard my dentist said something about "eccentric" . i have retainers on my upper teeth..and my lower teeth has same problems too..the spaces are just equal though but it looks bad.. should i get braces? help me.. :(

My Vote is for Invisalign to Close the Spaces

+2

Invisalign would likely work well to close your spaces and give you the smile you want if you wear them well. Braces could do the same, so the choice is up to you. I'd recommend Invisalign because then I could look at the digital models with your dentist before we even start treatment to line up the teeth how they would want for the restorations you need to correct their shape.

A "retainer" won't move your teeth with enough control to close spaces that size very well.

Allentown Orthodontist

Spaces between my teeth

+2

The spaces between your teeth could be due to a number of reasons. They could just be too small so the ideal treatment in that case would be to restore them with crowns or bonding. you could have a tongue thrust habit which is opening up the spaces between your teeth. if your tongue postures forward as you tlk or swallow, the force of the muscle can open spaces between teeth. Spaces could also just be due to the position of the teeth or migration of teeth due to missing other teeth. A proper dignosis considering these factors will give you your answer.

Mojdah Akhavan, DDS
San Diego Orthodontist

Consider Invisalign to close upper and lower spaces

+1

A retainer may not be effective at closing the upper spaces, especially if your upper front teeth are touching your lower front teeth when you bite on your back teeth. Upper and lower spaces may both need to be closed to maintain the fit of the bite. Follow your doctor's instructions on retainer wear after the Invisalign treatment, spaces like this want to come back after they have been closed with orthodontics.

Rob van den Berg, DDS, MS
San Ramon Orthodontist